650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Goofy noob question about gaskets

Goofy noob question about gaskets
    Forum Index -> Engine
verno

PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 12:19 am    Post subject: Goofy noob question about gaskets

I appreciate everyone's patience with new people. If I'm going to take the sump plate off to check the filter, and the plate on the side to check the oil screen, do I need to change the gasket everytime? I'm hesitant to take them off now to have a look in case I have to order a gasket first. I don't want to leave it sitting open for a couple weeks. Or will sitting open, or closed back up with a broken gasket not cause any trouble?
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

"do I need to change the gasket everytime?"

no not if they don't tear, however taking them off the first time is a crap shoot, did the PO (damn PO's) use some kind of sealant? will you have to scrape off itty bitty pieces of your former gasket? best to be prepared to replace them at least the first time.. yes they will reseal sometimes but some times they don't

verno

PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

Thanks very much. I figured that was likely the answer. And it would be just my luck that if I don't order one, I will break it. Of course when I do order one in, the existing gasket will likely be fine for years!!
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

That is absoluetly right verno. I ordered gaskets but the originals came out so well that I continue to use them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right? :^)

y thoughts are that the process of scraping and using the new gasket would have more chance for an oil leak than just using the old one that is working fine. Then again what if you need the new gasket? Best to have one on hand.

Tom Graham
5twins

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

Order 2 of each. Some parts should just be kept "on the shelf". This includes all the basic maintenance stuff like spark plugs, points, condenser, oil drain plug gaskets, and these oil filter gaskets.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

I have discovered that you can run these covers and the valve covers with a high quality gasket sealant ALONE!...

But I guess it depends very much on the condition of peoples individual bikes mating surfaces....and the condition of them...
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

I coat most of my gaskets with my old mate never seize on both sides. Then when you take it apart again it's just too easy!

On my sump plate I used a little loctite master gasket to glue to the gasket to the sump plate and never seize from the gasket to the crankcase, whenever I drop the plate, the gasket comes nicely away with the plate. Beeeauutifull!

Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Goofy noob question about gaskets

Thats the other good point about using sealant..

Is that if you DO you the stuff it coats and save the gasket.

Dont worry about using silicon based gasket, so long as its the correct motor spec it cant brake pumps or clock lines, even fine ones, its formulated to stop that from happening..

I currently run my inspection covers with sealant alone.

After its applied run and warm the engine and then use a toothbrush to cleanup.

Works 100%.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1