650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > still having issues

still having issues
    Forum Index -> Fuel
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 22, 2008, 10:06 pm    Post subject: still having issues

well I'm still having issues. I recently replaced my points and condenser. Took off my carbs and cleaned them. Everything looked good. Putting them back on however there are two lines(similar looking to the fuel lines) that are on the inside of the carbs( not the 2 that connect to eachother nor the ones coming off the float chambers). They have soda tab looking fasteners on the lines. Where do I connect those fasteners and are the supposed to be plugged in anywhere else besides the carb? Also my bike wont stay idle and is still backfiring(possibly misfiring?) on the left side. While I was looking down, the left air filter(k&n) actually lit up from the inside. I made some small carb adjustments and it stopped lighting up but still backfired just as bad and still wouldn't idle. Whats my next move? Spark plugs are brand new and gapped correctly. possibly timing or valve issue? should I change my float needle setting?(currently on the middle setting) Thanks in advance

-Ryan
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2008, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

kind of out of the upper center inside of the carbs? atmospheric balance vents, leave them open to air (lets air into the float bowls) goes down to two little tabs that mount on the float bowl screws (hoses are only about 4" long) if your timing is ok that backfiring thru the carb is probably a tight intake valve
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

thanks jayel I'll give that a try. I figured those lines were to let air in I just had to make sure.
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

So I checked the timing via the alternator setting and it appears the left contact is off somewhat. I changed the left contact setting to coincide as much as possible but still seems to have a larger gap when open if that makes sense. with the bike running and the contact point cover off it appears as the left contact has a blue spark flashing constantly and the right contact only shows a yellowish spark occasionally. Again my left cylinder is still backfiring, however, the bike has a nice quiet idle now. It only backfires when rev'ed and hesitates like crazy when riding. I have yet to check my intake valve. Is that my next move? Thanks in advance,

-ryan
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

both contacts should be set to the same gap, then the points plates are adjusted to time the cylinders, yellow spark indicates bad condenser are you sure it's plugged in correctly?
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

Damn your quick. I'll check if it's plugged in correctly tomorrow. Also I have a question, the manual I have talks about 2 condensers but I only have one. Is that my issue? I wouldn't think it would run if I needed 2 but only had one. Also I haven't changed the point plate setting yet(are you talking about the gap lock screw or the L.H. timing lock screw as per the illustration?). Thanks again, I'm an ultra noob but have already learned a lot.

-ryan

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 24, 2008, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

the stock condenser is a double unit (two wires) one to each set of points/coils, the ground connection is made thru the frame mounting screws

timing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.83 KB
 Viewed:  155 Time(s)

timing.jpg

5twins

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: still having issues

It sounds like your points gap is too big on the left set and the timing is probably off as well. Both can cause misfiring like you're experiencing. Any time you change the points gap, you change the timing. That's why you must set the points gap first. Any time you replace points, you should re-check the timing. Chances are the new set is not gapped exactly the same as the old one so your timing will have changed slightly. Here's a write-up that explains the procedure. Coupled with the diagrams you have, you should be able to figure it out .....

xs650temp.proboards29....hread=7984
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 25, 2008, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

thanks for the info guys. I'll report back with results
PenniesEarned

PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

so one quick question before I go try to do this. What should the points look like when the bike is running? Constant blue spark or no spark? Thanks

-ryan
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 26, 2008, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: still having issues

in a dark room you would see blue sparks at the contacts of the points but it shouldn't have a large arcing spark

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1