650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Ignition Problem??? TCI???
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Skip

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Hi Guys and gals.
Today I was out for a ride and a weird thing happened.My 78 SE (which has been totolly changed over to electronic ignition from a 81SH) occasionally started to miss a beat,then about 15 minuites later it started running real flat equally on both cylinders and would only rev to about 3,000 rpm max.Also it would send out ocassional ear shattering backfires like gun shots. I limped it home,Checked primary and secondary coil values OK.Was about to check pick up coil values but could not see what or where the pick up coil plugs in to.I would assume the TCI but to ask a stupid question,where is the TCI located? Does the pick up coil either work or not as the bike will run and idle but when you put a load on it it lays over and starts backfiring frightning small children and causing the police to draw thier guns. Any help would be appriciated!
Thank's Skip

Please check out my wifes web site!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

My 80 did that years ago and it was a connection somewhere.....I cleaned "all" the connections and used dielectric grease on them and it never did it again.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Thank's XSjohn ,could you tell me where the TCI unit is located?
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

TCI is under the battery box.............wouldn't need to mess with that....at least not yet......clean the connections found on the harness......look near the back of the tank......big white connetctors can be pulled apart with 2 pair of pliers......the pickup coil 3 pin connector is there too.......kill switch.....coil wires under the tank.......sandpaper.......see what happens.......then clean some more connectors.......there is plenty of them for sure.....headlight and under the side covers........get them all .......really should be done anyway............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Hey John,I checked and cleaned all the connections and checked the pick up coil resistance - OK .Still nothing.
Then I found this link by JoshX on CDI ignitor transistor replacement for low or no spark on electronic models. Works like a charm! Ya gotta love a cheap and easy fix!! Heres the link!
www.650rider.com/index...transistor
Thanks for all your help!
Skip

www.dlgcreations.com

Last edited by Skip on October 25, 2008, 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Skip..........good job..............me I am a parts swaper but it is good to know that they can be easily fixed if the transistor is the problem.....doesn't hurt to have clean connections either in the long run......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

John
I am with you on the parts swap,makes troubleshooting easier for sure!
These CDI's are hard to find these days.even on ebay.And you know what that means.............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Skip

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

Did you get a couple of extra transistors........??

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Problem??? TCI???

No John,but they are a popular in stock item for most electrical specialty shop.Of course that won't help you on the side of the road.in the middle of nowhere.But then again,who really carries a solder gun with them anyway!
Skip

www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1