650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > 80' XS finally alive after more than 2 years

80' XS finally alive after more than 2 years
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
dhsmith

PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 9:27 pm    Post subject: 80' XS finally alive after more than 2 years

Very Happy THANKS TO ALL THAT POST HERE after almost three years my baby is alive and healthy again. In Sept of 2006 I bought an 80' XS from a friend for $400.00. He got her new from the dealer and kept her looking as if she had never left the showroom. He even gave me all the original papers, brouchure and owner manual before I trailerd her home. I knew when I got her that she had all the many electrical grimlins but ran fine as long as she had a fresh battery. I first replaced the brushes then found the rotor checked bad, after a rotor did not get her charging up to par I replaced the stator. When I finally managed to rathole the cash for a new stator and put it on I found the diodes in the rectifier were fried.
TODAY I DECLARE THE DAY OF GLORY. My ebay rectifer arrived Friday. I gathered all the parts, nuts, bolts and screws from the box I had placed them in last year when I removed the old rectifier. Put her all back together with a new battery. She fired off after two cranks. When I saw the headlight shinning like the Christmas star I knew she was finally back to life. Sure nough, the meter said 13.8 volts at 2K RPM and she walked the normal circle around the garage while ideling.. YEAA!!! Tomorrow to the DMV for tags. SH($(*# tommorow is a holiday and the fricken revenuers are closed!!!! I guess I'll just have to ride her any way and beg forgivness if I get stopped!!!! Again thanks to all the post here. I could not have done it without you!!!!
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 80' XS finally alive after more than 2 years

Hey DH,

Congratulations! Don't you love it when they fire off and then sit there, begging to be ridden!

It sounds like it is time to start looking for the next one... Very Happy

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1