650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
metalho

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

Im not going to be an ass and ask a question everytime I go to snip a wire, but was wondering if any of you folks have wired up an xs chopper with newer tci box? Alot of diagrams out there and wish there was a magical plug in loom I could purchase but doesnt look like it. I saw that one of the other members completed a chop the same 81 year as mine. Do you guys have a diagram that your members have been using?

champion beadlocks 010.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.15 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)

champion beadlocks 010.jpg

champion beadlocks 009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.31 KB
 Viewed:  406 Time(s)

champion beadlocks 009.jpg

champion beadlocks 008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.46 KB
 Viewed:  401 Time(s)

champion beadlocks 008.jpg

xsjohn

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

Here is some diagrams I have been saving from this site..........some are simple some aren't ........not sure what would work for you...............problem I can see eliminating the safety relays would be hitting the starter button while the thing is running.........

xsjohn

1980 wiring diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  339.72 KB
 Viewed:  1422 Time(s)

1980 wiring diagram.jpg

wiring diagram xs650 80g.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.56 KB
 Viewed:  3731 Time(s)

wiring diagram xs650 80g.jpg

Photo Gallery
metalho

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs6

xsjohn, thank you sir. Im looking for just that kind of information, (diagrams) alot of people helping and am saving all of it while I think about how to wire this relic. Thanks again.
nixon186

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

i just wired my 83 up yesterday in about an hour using the bottom schematic. most wires are already connected. the two coil wires had to be snipped to get around all the bs in the factory harness. also, the brown wires and the red/white wire had to be snipped and soldered. im not running electric start or turn signals but i still have to run my brake/tail wires and headlight wire. it was much easier than i anticipated.
metalho

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs6

Ya, thats kinda what I figured. New I would have to do some snipping and legthening to hide or reposition.
nixon186

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

i didnt have to shorten any wires. all the wires that were already in the right sport were about 18" long(from what i remember). i made a faux oil tank out of a fire extinguisher i cut up. its 5" in diameter and 8.5" wide and i fit the wiring and tci box inside with ease. i mounted the rectifier in the stock location and welded a bracket for a coil right above that.
nixon186

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

btw...my stock wiring harness is hanging from my wall and it looks untouched. you literally cut away a majority of the harness.
metalho

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

Can understand that. Figured once I got past the important plug ins like the tci box, regulator/rectifier, coils..... I would end up with only afew wires to hide down the back bone. Man it sure would help a butt load if you had a pic of how you organized your electrical.

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs650

i'll take a pic tonight or tomorow night depending on how late i get stuck at my shop. if you haven't already, undo the tape on the harness. you only have to do it between the tci plug and regulator plug and you'll see how easy it is. print out the lower schematic and look at it as your doing it. ignore all the lighting and switch related stuff on the diagram.
nixon186

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs6

like this...

wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.71 KB
 Viewed:  684 Time(s)

wiring.jpg

metalho

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring up newer style tci electrical system on yammy xs6

Hey cool dude! Your ok!!!! Thanks, Cory.

PostPosted: October 10, 2008, 9:11 am    Post subject: 1981 xs650 Chopper/Triumph hard tail

Will be sandblasting frame and springer forks today. Purchased clymer book for 81 xs, found a left hand header at bent bike out in the bone yard. Also powerwashed motor off to inspect cases for cracks.

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1