650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Just Hello

Just Hello
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Rudyt

PostPosted: June 5, 2006, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Just Hello

Purchased a 1975 XS650 over the weekend. Bought it for the wife to learn how to ride, however I rode it over the weekend and I can see a possible restore in it's future. The bike is in above average condition for its age and ride and drives pretty good. Only concern currently is there is a lot of valve noise at the exhaust valve area. Last owner said that he has adjusted the valves and it didn't help. Said that it has been doing it for years. You never know. It's anamplified loose valve lash noise that softens above idle. I am going to check the vlaves myself and see what I find.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 6, 2006, 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Just Hello

Welcome to the forum and the XS650. Keep us posted on what you find.
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 8, 2006, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Hello

Welcome aboard. Congrats on the new bike. I did the same thing for my fiance and bought her a nice 78 650 off of ebay. You may want to check the cam chain tension as well. Give us a shout.
Wulf

Rudyt

PostPosted: June 8, 2006, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Hello

Well, gues what. The Cam chain tentioner was in need of adjustment. Took care of it. I did rreplace the tach cable that was shredded. Now the tach works but not very good. Anything above 3k rpm the guage just goes crazy. Haven't had time to investigate. Will use my dremel to try and run up the tach and see which end is broken.
This bike looks like a perfect first time restore experience. Prices on parts seem to be quite reasonable and support seems to be there. My other bike is a 06 FJR1300 so all I do with it is start it and go.
Look forward to asking many questions in the future. I am going to just keep it road worthy until the wife desides she is ready to move to something else. After that, the party is on. Did I mention that it has the biggest Vetter fairing made by mankind? I am thinking a restore with it still on, complete with am/fm/CASSETTE/ with dials, huge padded sissy bar, you get the picture. hehe
Wulf

PostPosted: June 9, 2006, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Hello

Cassette???? They still make those???? Just kidding. Hell, I even have a couple of old 8 tracks laying around. Good job on the cam chain. A replacement tach can be found on ebay for probably less than 20.00.
Wulf

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1