650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > compression test

compression test
    Forum Index -> Engine
easytravel

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: compression test

O.K. folks...simple question... what should my compression tester read for a stock '78 650 and the max deviation in reading? I will test tomorrow morning and post my results. Thanks in advance.
I like walks on the beach and....oh $%#...wrong site!! Uhh yeah so...thought I would get more involved with my 650, see it at mark58mark on youtube, you know..actually getting dirty once in a while, the things that made us love bikes in the first place..
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test

below 100 rebuild 100- 145 ok 145-160 very good, should be within 10% of each other (5-6 lbs) prop the slides open and full open throttle butterflys when testng
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test

Throttle held wide open........150 great.......140 good.......130 ok........less not doing well........10 deviation might be livable for me.....but I can see it running along real smooth.............xsjohn
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test

Testing a warm engine usually gives better results as well.
easytravel

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test

thank you fellas...full throttle, warm up first, I only use the kicker because the electric leg sounds like a coffee can full of marbles, this is sufficient yes? 3-4 kicks each side should give me the readings I need to determine the condition of the top end and rings? What can I say guys.. thanks again!
I like walks on the beach and....oh $%#...wrong site!! Uhh yeah so...thought I would get more involved with my 650, see it at mark58mark on youtube, you know..actually getting dirty once in a while, the things that made us love bikes in the first place..
skippyp

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: compression test

OK, so let me get this straight. Warm up the bike, remove the plugs and thread in the tester. It should only take 3-4 kicks to reach the desired numbers? What if it takes more kicks to reach a good pressure but the pressure still holds. I did a test before (not really knowing what I was doing) and didn't open the throttle, it took probably 10-15 kicks to reach 150psi, but it held that pressure for a long time. I am going to test again now that I see how it should be done. Anymore tips would be great, man this site is helpful!

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1