650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Bike stalls when put into first?

Bike stalls when put into first?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Drive
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Bike stalls when put into first?

So when trying to go to a job interview this morning, I couldn't get the bike to go. It started fine (83' 650 xs) and as soon as I put it in gear it would stop, instantly. I'd put it in neutral and start it up again, no problem, until I put it in first... stall. each time. Any ideas?

I was having a hard time in first where it's very jumpy, but fine in other gears. So I couldn't really coast in first, but I never stayed in it very long so I didn't think much of it.

Any help appreciated.
XSDAD
sure

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Check your clutch adjustment...
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

as a technical idiot, how is that done?

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

loosen cable on handle........pop round cover on left engine case off......loosin nut and turn the inner phillips screw in till it bottoms...back out 1/2 turn and tighten nut.....re adjust handle........(hold cable upward so it won't slip off inside the case while you are trying to loosen nut)............grease and clean pivot (push lever assembly) requires removing left case..........

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on October 4, 2008, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Great, thanx!!!!!
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Side stand cut out?
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I tried what you suggested xsjohn, it's not changing a thing. I was able to get the bike going twice, out of about 60 tries, that's not good. Once it's in first and running, it's ok, I can shift gears up and down and the clutch does work properly... The problem is at the start, idling in neutral it's fine, as soon as I hit the shift lever, the bike stalls hard. Instant stop.

Yamaman, I still have my kickstand, and it is retracted when I try to start off.

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I don't know the history of the bike...and if it wasn't the side stand safety switch.......which it still may be..........if mine and I knew the cable was adjusted properly and the push lever assembly was also working properly I would lift the right cover and dismantle and inspect the clutch.......

would need a hammer impact for the clutch spring screws and a larger impact and socket for the 27MM nut inside the clutch if were to be totally removed.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Thanks, how should I check to see if it's kickstand related? Everything worked fine yesterday... well, not everything, but all clutch related things anyways.

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Would go to 650 garage and type in side stand switch into the search bar..........at the bottom put in like 300 days...........and like 25 results...

xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

If the stand relay was bad it wouldn't start. Does it jump forward when you put it in gear? Or when you pull the clutch and use the starter does it try to roll? Could it be the plastic threaded piece in the push asssembly broke?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Depends how the side stand cut out is configured, XSDAD is in Canada correct? In Aus, we are similar to Canada models, if the engine is running with the side stand down, when you put it in gear the engine cuts out! If the switch on the side stand is bad it could be as if the stand is down shutting the motor off. Connect the 2 wires together that go to the switch to bypass.

I bypassed my TRX 850 for a track day a few years ago as I had to remove the stand for the day. I never put it back, just left it in danger mode! Never had a drama till 2 weeks ago when I took off with the stand still down, no real drama but woke up quick when the stand hit the deck and flicked up!

xackley

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Experiment to find out if you are just not getting enough pull.

At the hand lever tighten the cable so there is no play in the lever (maybe a little more so there is a slight pull)
Start the engine in Neutral
Try First gear.
If it goes in, you still need to work on fine tuning the cable and left cover clutch adjustment. Might just need cleaning and lubricating the cable and worm gear inside the left cover.

y clutch works best when I snug up the adjuster on the left hand cover, and back off a little less than a quarter turn. The handle lever I adjust for minimum slack, with the smoothest take off possible. Leaving the lock nut on the cable adjuster loose so I can tune it in at stop signs.

Also, the first start in the morning, especially on cold days, the first shift into first gear will kill my engine if I don't give it a rev to 2500. I also "pump" the lever a few times. Letting the motorcycle idle until you can shut off the choke helps too.

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

yamaman, it is configured the same for US models. For a quick check this jump can be done with alligator clips.

PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I tinkered arround with it till about midnight last night, couldn't get it to work. I adjusted the clutch in every which way, no luck. I tried putting it in first without the clutch while it was running in neutral and it did the exact same thing as I described above... but a bit more violently. If I squeeze the clutch in, I can still role my bike manually but can feel when the gears are wanting to engage.

I'm pretty sure it's the clutch. As for the adjustment... when you turn the screw in, after loosening the nut, on the left side of engine, do you tighten it as far as it will go, with force, and then loosen it 1/8 turn? (some say 1/4). I have done this and it defenetly tightens p my clutch, but doesn't solve the stalling issue when put into first, nor does it make rolling the bike any easyer.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Have you tried bypassing the side stand switch yet? Just trace it back to a join and make a jumper lead like W/E Rider did.

Some clutch drag is normal (even much more than some). If you can push it in gear then the clutch should be at least good enough to operate.
When its cold, you can put it in gear, pull in the clutch and rock it back and forward till it frees up a bit, can help!

davidnj2

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I have to agree with xsJohn on this one. Sounds like the side stand switch needs replaced or by-passed.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Actualy, I just thought of an easier test, start the bike with the stand down and put it in gear, does it stall the same way as it has been? If it does then the switch is the drama!
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

yamaman wrote:
Actualy, I just thought of an easier test, start the bike with the stand down and put it in gear, does it stall the same way as it has been? If it does then the switch is the drama!

yamaman, I don't understand your las post... how would tha exclude the possibility of it being the clutch in that case?

I have not yet tried anything regarding the stand switch, it was too dark to find anything, so I'll have to try again in the daylight. Where should I be looking for this switch??

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Switch at the top of the side stand, when the stand is retracted it pushes the switch closed. When the switch is open and the bikes in neutral, all's ok. When you engage a gear with the stand down the engine is shut down!
It might just have a bit of crap holding the switch up, it can get pretty grungy under there!

XSDAD

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Ok. I'll gove that a try. thanks.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I did once have a clutch stop working on me because all the bolts on the L/H cover came loose, so when I pulled the clutch the cover pressed out instead of the push rod pushing in!
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

I haven't had a chance to look into the sidestand switch yet, will do tonight, but if that is the problem, what would cause my clutch lever to be so stiff? It was lubbed just last month. Would that be adjusted with the clutch adjuster screw on the left of engine?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike stalls when put into first?

Johns description is pretty good on clutch adj

xsjohn wrote:
loosen cable on handle........pop round cover on left engine case off......loosin nut and turn the inner phillips screw in till it bottoms...back out 1/2 turn and tighten nut.....re adjust handle........(hold cable upward so it won't slip off inside the case while you are trying to loosen nut)............grease and clean pivot (push lever assembly) requires removing left case..........

xsjohn

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2