650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > wheel lacing

wheel lacing
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
mudchicken

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 9:25 am    Post subject: wheel lacing

I am getting ready to lace my 18" hub into a 16" wheel. Anyone have any advice or tricks to make this go smooth?
Thanks!
5twins

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

This should help .....

xs650temp.proboards29....714&page=1
mudchicken

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

Wow! That is a great post. Thanks
5twins

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

The only thing that may differ for you is the rear rim offset. That post was referring to an 18" rear rim. It's width size is 2.15 whereas the 16" was 2.75.
mudchicken

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

5twins wrote:
The only thing that may differ for you is the rear rim offset. That post was referring to an 18" rear rim. It's width size is 2.15 whereas the 16" was 2.75.
Good point. So how to I find that out? Anyone??
5twins

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

Usually (but not always), the rim is centered over the hub. That is, between the spoke flanges of the hub which is not necessarily the center of the overall hub width. It is on the front wheels as I'm working on one at the moment and did a check for that. I do have 18" rears on hand I could check. I imagine if it's centered on those, it should be with a 16" rim as well.

Another part you may need to scrounge up (or mod your original) is the brake torque arm from a Special. The tubing is dimpled near the front for tire clearance .....

special torque arm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.01 KB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

special torque arm.jpg

whyaskwhy

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

5twins, excellent post.

What do you do about balance for the front and rear wheels?

'55 BSA Golden Flash
'74 Yamaha Enduro
'83 Hertiage
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

i was just lucky enough to have another wheel to look at and work from. but that post will get bookmarked, i wont always have a wheel to look at, i may end up tearing down both the damn rear wheels i have and really be in a bind! thanks 5twins!

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

For balance, after I mount a tire, I do a simple static balance. I slowly spin the wheel and watch where it stops. If it always stops with the same spot down, that's the heavy point and a wheel weight is needed somewhere opposite it (but not always directly opposite). I experiment with the weight's position, moving it a spoke or 2 (or an inch or 2 on a mag) to the right or left, sometimes another weight may be needed, until the wheel stops in a different position each time it is spun.
mudchicken

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

Well I gave it a shot last night and all I can say is f#@$!!!! This is not fun. I dont think I will have alot of hair left when this is all done. I get 3 sets of spokes in but cant seem to get the last set in place. Confused
5twins

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

By "sets", I take it you're referring to left and right side inners and outers? Be sure to leave all the installed spokes very loose, the nipples only started on the spokes by a few turns, until all are installed. The last couple may be a tight fit so you need the hub and installed spokes to be able to move around a bit.

I noticed in another thread that you said you got your rim from eBay. It may not have quite the same dimensions as an original, most importantly, the center strip where the spokes connect may be higher. It may require slightly shorter spokes than a stock rim.
mudchicken

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

[quote="5twins"]By "sets", I take it you're referring to left and right side inners and outers?quote] Yes that is what I am talking about. I just took a closer look at your post and found that I should do the inners first. I did not try this yet so I am thinking this may be my problem. I was doing one side inner and outer at once and flipping the rim but when I do this I can only get the inners in. Im worried about bending the spokes for the other side outer. I will try again tonight. Wish me luck!
5twins

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: wheel lacing

That is your problem. ALL the inners, both left and right side, must be installed first. Although I'm surprised you could get the second set of inners inserted with a set of outers already in place. The outers usually block inserting the inners, that's why you do all the inners first.

I insert all the inners, both sides, into the hub and angle them in the proper direction. The inners for one flange will angle opposite to those in the other flange. Then I set the hub in the rim and connect all the inner spokes. Then I insert one side of outers and connect them, then the other.

Here's a shot of all the inners inserted, angled, and the hub ready to be set in the rim. The second pic shows all the inners connected and one set (side) of outers inserted .....

inner spokes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.48 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)

inner spokes.jpg

outer spoke install.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.83 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

outer spoke install.jpg

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1