650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Starter Diagnosis

Starter Diagnosis
    Forum Index -> Electrical
xs2Doug

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Starter Diagnosis

Hi,

I'm new to the board and to 650's.

With that said, I just picked up a 72 for restoring and am in the process of getting it running.

When I try to turn it over using the starter, I hear the solenoid click but nothing from the starter? it was unhooked when I got the bike so I hooked it to the outside lug of the solenoid but still nothing from the starter.

I attempted to remove the starter but quickly realized that this also drains the oil...

Is there only one wire that powers the starter (and the ground is acheived by being bolted to the engine)? or am I missing something.

AND, once I remove it, how can I test it....can I just jump it with a battery connection?

Thanks.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Diagnosis

according to my wiring diagram there are 4 wires to the solenoid. Incoming are the large power from the battery, a hot lead from the starter button and a ground. there is a single output to the starter and the starter is grounded through the chassis. There is a reason the starter was disconnected. The good news is the bike is easy to kick start.

ikesxs.com has a starter blanking kit ($12) if you want to run without the starter.

Good luck.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Diagnosis

Hook a volt meter to that lug (and ground) and hit the start button ... if the solenoid works you'll have voltage. If not, you'll need to replace it. Yep just the one wire. If the solenoid it OK ... could be the brushes in the motor (doubt that). I just replaced my solenoid ... had the same problem, did the trick for me.

You'll probably find that it was unhooked for a reason ... starter grinding noise. Its pretty common with the XS650's. If thats the case ... all is not lost Smile Check out this link www.650motorcycles.com...endix.html

Yep, if starter removed you can jump it from the battery.

edited .. opps .. someone posted as I was typing .. oh well, it all helps Laughing

Last edited by jimmer on June 1, 2006, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
xs2Doug

PostPosted: June 1, 2006, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Diagnosis

Sounds like what I've got...with the four wires.

I will probably end up kick starting but sure hoped to use the starter while working on getting it running!!! Confused

I'll pull it and go from there...

Thanks again.

BTW, the Clymer manual is on the way...just haven't recieved it yet.
xs2Doug

PostPosted: June 2, 2006, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Diagnosis

o.k.

starter is trashed...basically just something to fill the whole. I took the end caps off and there was one brush and nothing to hold it is place.... and everything was oily inside.

Looks like time for another starter. anyone?

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1