650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Rectifier/regulator question

Rectifier/regulator question
    Forum Index -> Electrical
grant

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Rectifier/regulator question

This may be a foolish question but the electrics seem to evade what few braincells I have left. I am trying to build a tracker, '77 stock motor with points and I would like to simplify the wiring. Headlight, taillight, starter and killswitch only. My question is - Do I have to run the stock 2 separate units or will the block finned later model unit work? Is the block finned unit only compatible with tci ignition? Any help is appreciated and please excuse my ignorance on this matter. Thanks, Grant.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

late model reg/rec will work just need to wire the plug in different if you go to my (jayels album) and find the 650 chopper wiring dia. then look at the 80xs dia. that uses the dual unit reg/rec you will see that the wires match up except you eliminate one ground wire
grant

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

Thanks, Jayel. Helps a bunch.
georelle

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

I tried the same thing in my '76 with an '80 rectifier/regulator and it did not work. Apparently the way they regulate the voltage coming out of the alternator is diferent. I ended up doing the Pamcopete's 6.58 rectifier and 25.94 solid state regulator. These upgrades can be found on the XS650 garage fourm under electrical - electrical solutions - charging systems. It works awesome.
Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

Me too..

I "UK" ified Pampcopete's setup and its the best most solid charge I've ever had out of a bike.

The UK version of it cost less than £10 all in!
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

As jayel said you can use the later rec/reg combo unit on your 77. There's one important difference that must be changed. The alternator brushes on the bikes up to 1979 have one brush (right side) grounded, and feed the control + voltage from the green wire to the other brush. From 1980 on, neither brush is grounded............one brush uses battery voltage (brown) and feed the control - ground voltage from the green wire to the other brush. To make this work on a 77, you would need to isolate the right side brush mounting bracket from ground.
Photo Gallery
LumbeeNDN

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

...hey guys, I'm going through this same problem with my chopper now. Currently the way its wired, if I jump the green wire to the (-) batt post the charging will run up to 16v. From what I understand this tells me the rotor and stator and doing there job, but with out the jump, no charge. I've insulated the black wire going to the stator with nylon screws to mount it. When I flip the switch on, should I read any voltage across the brushes? Currently I don't. And to make it more confusing, if I ground one of the probes on my meter to the engine case, then probe each brush with the other, I read 12v on each one. Is that right? Seems to me neither is grounded. Any help appreciated...
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

LumbeeNDN; I'm not clear on what you are trying to connect. Do you have a combined rectifier/regulator from a 1980 to 83? Are you trying to connect that to an alternator from 1970 to 79?
Photo Gallery
LumbeeNDN

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

...thats correct I have the combined reg/rect and an early model stator.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

I recommend you follow the help you're getting from Pamcopete over on 650garage. He is the expert on charging/ignition etc..
Photo Gallery
LumbeeNDN

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectifier/regulator question

...thanx, I'm trying to be patient Confused But he hasn't posted in few days now. I've got a new reg/rec from mikes on the way. I'm hoping the one I have is bad, and that getting a new one installed will solve the problem. Thanx for posting...

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1