650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > These should work, right?

These should work, right?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
Yamahopper

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 3:21 pm    Post subject: These should work, right?

Silicone Ignition Wire Sets

Empi 7mm wire sets feature a double-jacket silicone cover to protect against heat and deluxe spark plug boots that seal at the cylinder tin. The extra long 22" coil wire allows the coil to be mounted in various locations. Tailored to fit your VW. Choose from a variety of colors in Suppressed or Copper Core Non-Suppressed.

www.dansperformancepar...uggyic.htm

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

Its not the wire, its the cap that matters.

Some coils fitted to some years required a cap with a certain impedance. If you junk the cap you might damage the coil if its feeding the wrong resistor...

Others may be able to ellaborate ...?? I run a boyer so, I am not so up on this requirement
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

Those are the exact same wires I use. Get the solid copper core, not the resistor ones and replace the straight rubber plug cap with a 90° NGK 5K ohm (electronic ignition) or 0K ohm (points ignition) plug cap. The 8mm or larger wires won't fit into your stock coils or the NGK caps. I've been using them for about 15 years now on 4 different bikes. I get them from J.C. Whitney for about $10 a set. Splay the wire out in a radial pattern before you screw it into the coil or screw the plug cap on. Here's one of those wires (I like red ones) ready for the plug cap to be attached .....

plug wire end.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.21 KB
 Viewed:  114 Time(s)

plug wire end.jpg

Yamahopper

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

Thanks,
Thats what I thought
It's a '78 w/ points so 0k 7mm
what about suppression, not important or what?

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

DO NOT use the suppression wires. Use the solid copper core NON-SUPPRESSION wires. If you want suppression or resistance in your system, do it with the plug cap or the plug itself. With points, you don't need the resistance in the system. Yamaha put it in to quell interference with people's electronics and radios. These ignition systems are marginal to begin with so let as much spark energy through as you can by running zero ohm caps and non-resistor wires.
Yamahopper

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

I do not see the ones you are referring to on JCWhitney.com

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

Oh, they're still there but it appears the price has doubled. Cost of solid metal cores must have really went up Sad
scotts

PostPosted: January 21, 2009, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

5twins, what coil are you using with these? I saw another thread where you talked about Harley coils but there are a gazillion different kinds listed on ebay.
Can you tell me exactly what to look for or if these will work on an '82 with an otherwise stock ignition? Can I use these wires on my stock coil?
Photo Gallery
metalredneck

PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

I run point, metal cores, & no resistor caps. Gives a nice tingly feeling when you test for spark with one hand grounded. Shocked

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: These should work, right?

scotts, your 82 with the stock electonic ignition can use any dual output coil that has a 2.5 ohm input. some fit where the stock coil fits. some don't.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1