650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > What did I screw up?

What did I screw up?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
killtrip

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 4:29 pm    Post subject: What did I screw up?

Recently, I started taking my bike apart, only to realize time wasn't on my side, so I stopped before I got too far, and proceeded to put it all back together.

All I did was remove the side engine covers, the sump cover, the heads, the footpegs, carbs, kickstart and clutch pedals.. only thing electrical I did was replaced the sparkplugs, and removed the plug cables. I never even took off the coil.

Before I did this, the bike started every time, first kick.

Now, I've cleaned and replaced all the gaskets for the associated parts that I removed, changed the oil, as well as changed the plugs, as I mentioned.

Now, it wont start at all.

I've never used the electric start button, so actually removed the button for that a while ago. Always kickstarted it. I do remember one time I left the power on for the bike. (Explanation for this: the keyswitch doesnt do anything on my bike. The PO wired around this, so that there are two wires behind the headlight, that when crossed, act as turning the key to 'on')

I wonder if maybe the battery is dead.. so yesterday I pull the battery and put it on the charger. Today, I see a nice green LED waiting for me, so I take the newly charged battery, put it in the bike, and... wont start.

At this time, I've never really used a multimeter before, but one had been given to me in the past, so I do a quick read to figure out how to use it.. so maybe it's operator error.. but my battery reads at 5.42v..

I wonder why its so dead, and bring it back to the charger. The charger says its full charge! What am I doing wrong? What did I do wrong? Can someone help me figure out how to bring this one back from the dead?

Is the battery toast? I just got it a few months ago, and to be honest, I'd be surprised if it has even 10 miles on it total. I've only ever ridden the bike around the blocks here in my neighborhood, as its not titled yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

Hello Killtrip,
First thing I'd do is verify the numbers. Have you got a known good battery (car, truck) you can test with that meter to verify the numbers you're getting? At least that will verify whether the low voltage reading is related to the meter or the battery.

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

I can test my car battery, yes.. I'll go do that in a few minutes.

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

k, my car battery tests at 12.45v

bike battery still tests at 5.4v..

charger still thinks it is fully charged...

??

dead battery?

Would the bike still start via kick with the battery at that voltage?

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

killtrip wrote:
Would the bike still start via kick with the battery at that voltage?

If you have a set of jumper cables, I'd try running them over to your bike battery from the car and see if it starts up then. If the bike starts it'll prove the bike battery is toast.

5.4 volts seems pretty low to run anything with I think.

edit: I'd try charging that battery again with another charger if you have access to one. Your charger might be the one with the problem, given that it thinks that the battery is charged when it's only putting out 5.4 volts.

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

makes sense.. wife's truck has the jumpers.. and I only have the one charger.. so I'm gonna have to wait til the wifey gets home.

Sad

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

does your charger have a 6v/12v switch?
sschering

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

Man that sucks.. maybe your charger is bad.. I have a no brains 1/2a 12v charger you can borrow if you want.. It'll take it almost 2 days to charge a 14amp battery from flat. Sometimes led Acid batteries don't recover from going flat and being left to sit though.

William's Law ...
xackley

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

disconnect a battery cable to ensure nothing is creating a huge drain.

I had a battery go bad all of a sudden. One day good, next day symptom kind of like yours. Charged in moments (according to the charger), voltage plummeted as soon a there was the slightest load.

killtrip

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

jayel: no switch

update: buddy just brought his charger over, and it says it is charging.. so looks like my charger might be bad..

after this is charged, will try it all over again and see what happens..

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

killtrip; A multi-meter is essential equipment for anyone riding 30 year old bikes/cars etc. If you have only been using the bike for short little trips around your block, that would cause the battery to drain down. Its not good for a battery to discharge down to 5 volts. Do you know if the charging system is generating enough voltage to keep the battery charged?
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: September 18, 2008, 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did I screw up?

Retired: I don't.. I've had suspicions, and that was gonna be my next project once I got it back together.. but looks like I might be forced into it early, lol.

I do know the brushes are fine length.. the resistance between the rings is fine.. I plan on replacing the rectifier..

there might be a wire or two that needs to be replaced off the stator.. chain chewed them up a bit.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1