650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > 81 chop.... almost done...

81 chop.... almost done...
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: 81 chop.... almost done...

Gettin there, fired it up today.... got lots more to do.. disassemble.. weld some more .. smooth it out.. paint and reassemble...

Photo Gallery
kzxs

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Nice frame job, can't wait to see it done. What color(s) are you thinking about? I stand correted it looks flat black... oops

98 YZF 600R
81 XS 400 (NEW Project)
83 KZ 750 Ltd
83 XS 400 Seca
Photo Gallery
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Gonna do a gun metal grey on the frame, and mist the rear fender with a black gloss spray bomb... I have another shiny black tank that will probably makes its way on there... the fender is a Ford spare tire ring... got some good patina under there... I've built some pretty bikes already... gonna run this one and let it get whatever life and miles bring it... Thanks for asking.....
Photo Gallery
artonsafari

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

She's a beaut Clark!

PostPosted: September 17, 2008, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

lookin' good. Is that a Kansas custom hard tail?
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Yes it is a kansas Kustom... any one got a starting point on jetting the carbs... I have the pods and a wide open exhaust... 81 650 no frills... any help would be appreciated....
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 20, 2008, 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Dude, I am diggin' that something else...

y suggestions? If thats OK..

"upgrade" the original rectifier regulator to a custom solid state setup, that allows for a better and more solid DC voltage line to charge the battery and keep things running, that way you can use a tiny battery, placed in a custom painted steel box along with the reg - rect inside the box, with the wiring run along the frame with all the switch gear mounted on the right side of the box (reach down for countrol) ..keeping all the bars bare of wire and switch gear.

The entire electrical setup would take up less space than that battery..

Just blank the starter with a Mikes kit..all very inexpensive and much much neater..something I dont think you'd regret unless you got a bad knee or somethin' Smile

The electronics are very cheap and simple and provide what is basically a longer laster more simple and therefore fault free system.

PS ..do Kansas Custom's have a website, or ?...I couldnt find it..I love that frame...I guess they do a raked version?
Photo Gallery
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Thanks for the tips... it is a weld on hardtail... makes it much easier in the peoples republic of Kalifornia to register.... Bill is a nice guy to deal with, bought a sportster frame from him too.... www.kansaskustom.com I am looking at some of the stuff on Mikes... next payday... have to get a couple things...
Photo Gallery
jplayxs

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

i used a kansas kustom hardtail too...great product. What did you use for to space out your rear axle??? its hard to tell by your pics, those arent the chain tensioners modified are they??
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

jplayxs wrote:
i used a kansas kustom hardtail too...great product. What did you use for to space out your rear axle??? its hard to tell by your pics, those arent the chain tensioners modified are they??

Stock Sportster/FX internal tensioners ground down and drilled to fit the axle... I weld them on softail style (kind of) and use them as spacers and tensioners.... When I finish it up I'll post more pics...
Photo Gallery
JonnyRtn

PostPosted: September 28, 2008, 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Figured out I got a bad alternator... no magnetic field.... What are my options...????
Photo Gallery
metalho

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 chop.... almost done...

Just purchased an 81 xs motor and Triumph chopper frame. Cant tell you how much it would help me ou if you posted some close ups of how you hooked up your electrical.

champion beadlocks 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.96 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

champion beadlocks 001.jpg

champion beadlocks 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.16 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

champion beadlocks 002.jpg

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1