650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.
    Forum Index -> Fuel
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 1:44 pm    Post subject: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I JUST bought MikesXS non-vacuum petcock and I don't recommend it if you're interested in a bolt on solution. Mine leaked right out of the box. I still haven't gotten it to stop leaking as it looks like a manufacturing fit issue not a simple gasket. I too was fighting the vacuum POS petcock, tried for weeks to get it to stop leaking all the time...broke down paid $40 for Mikes "solution" and I'm back were I started, Pissed-Off.

Another issue that I'm having with the new petcock is that my '80 needed the hose attachment aimed at the center of the bike. Mikes petcock comes with 4 fittings, two are 90 degree, one is straight and one plug. I needed to use the 90 fitting to get the hose to run properly, problem is that when you install either 90 in either port (front or back) that when their tight enough not to leak, they're pointed straight up at the tank. I tried every combination I could to get the fitting to point where I needed, to no avail. I'm not sure how I'm going to get this POS to work for me at all.

I'm running out of money and Summer and haven't been able to ride this bike more than a block. Thinking seriously of pitching the whole bunch of junk I have and picking up a V-Strom 650 and go riding...

Stay tuned, I may have four XS650's for sale soon.

SrDesigner
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

Thats Odd really.

As I noted that its not a good part really. The double end adapters need filing and adjustment with washers to get them pointing in the right direction, but mine, despite being apart and messed with, works fine.

Go figure..sorry to hear about your problems Smile
Photo Gallery
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

Any specifics you can offer as to making adjustments, washers filing, etc...anything at all to make the $40 hole in my pocket feel smaller, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

SrDesigner
Yamahopper

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I find that strange, I have a '78. My vaccuum pets leaked so bad it was as if there was a giant hole in bottom of the tank. So I bought 2 of those NON-Vac pets from MikesXS, 90 degree and both point to the rear of bike and neighther one leaks AT ALL! I didn't mod, file or do anything to them other than bolt 'em on.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I find that strange, I have a '78. My vaccuum pets leaked so bad it was as if there was a giant hole in bottom of the tank. So I bought 2 of those NON-Vac pets from MikesXS, 90 degree and both point to the rear of bike and neighther one leaks AT ALL! I didn't mod, file or do anything to them other than bolt 'em on.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

ummm....

The thing is with gas, you think its leaking from one place, but its actually coming from higher up, it has a tendancy to move along and cover and drip everything...

Are you sure its not the main seal between tank and tap?

Those seals are a piss poor design, they are easily undermined by paint that gets attacked by fuel, and other corrosion and stuff like that..
Photo Gallery
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

Mine doesn't leak unless its turned on, this eliminates the base gasket as a potential culprit. I have tightened each of the fittings (even though they point in useless directions) and have determined that they are not leaking. The leaking is occuring at the gasket, which looks really thin and is squirting out all over the place. Looks to me like the gasket didn't fit very well to begin with and that care was not taken to assure it was aligned when installed. The three screws were not very tight out of the box and I was able to tighten them some when I first saw the leaking. It didn't help much if at all.

I'll be emptying the tank some evening this week and take a closer look at the issue. I'm here to say that for $40 a guy really shouldn't have to go thru all this.

I still don't have a clue as to how to get the hose fittings to aim in the right direction. I think the only option that really could work is to quit trying to use the 90 degree fitting and use the straight one, and find another way to route my feed hose. this will be a complete Jerry-rig for sure. Not my idea of a drop in replacement...

SrDesigner
5twins

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I take it you're referring to the gasket under the rear cover? I would complain because that definitely sounds like a manufacturing defect. Maybe they'll send you a new one or at the very least, I would ask for a replacement gasket for that rear cover. They sell that separately so it shouldn't be a problem to drop one in an envelope and send it to you.
BigGeorge

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I have 3 of Mikesxs manual petcocks and yes the only problem I find is the 90 degree fittings do not end up facing in the right direction so I used the straight fittings and just rerouted the fuel lines. I tightened one of the petcock fittings too tight and the gasket split so I used the plastic gasket off the old vacuum petcock drain plug and it worked perfectly no leaks. Like 5 twins said you might just have just gotten a bad petcock................BG
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

srdesigner does the selector turn easily? I wonder if you could thin the fiber washer a little to get it to where you want it.
Like BigGeorge I have 3 and none leak.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

know what?

It occurs to me that Mike like to actually hear that these arent so good.

I wasnt really that happy about having to spent time filing down the tap body and re-fitting the angles to get them halfway right...

Someone needs to make sure this gets set straight?
Photo Gallery
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

weekendrider, in the application of your three petcocks did you find that the fittings were adaquate? Did you use the 90 degree arrangements or only the straights?

Jake68
, I totally agree that Mike should be notified. I've been plagued by issues here lately and didn't think I should attempt to describe my situation to Mike until I knew I wouldn't be pissy...I realize he doesn't 'make' these parts and that quality is conditional, if you don't know it's crap, you just keep sending it out...

Thanks to all for the wonderful guidance. Maybe I'll be cool enough by the weekend to actually work on a solution. Last weekend was quite the capper.

SrDesigner
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I just wanted to say that Mikesxs manual petcocks worked perfect on my 78SE...........direct bolt on, and no leaks. I used the straight fittings, pointing towards the back of the bike, which allows for the 90 degree inline fuel filters. A little expensive, but a great product.

img_5572.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.55 KB
 Viewed:  231 Time(s)

img_5572.jpg

Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

I used the straight. One of the petcocks had a burr that didn't let the selector work freely. So I guess I can't say it was a "right out of the box" fit.

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

srdesigner -- you can probably make the elbow fitting work for you if you get a little teflon plumber's tape from the hardware store and wrap a few laps around the threads on the fitting. That will make it fit tighter and seal quicker. You won't have to turn it as far to get a leak-proof seal on the threads.

Another way would be to use a dab of silicone sealant on those threads. Then tighten the fitting up to the point where you have to stop to make it work for you (i.e. if you turn farther, you end with the nipple pointed up, which you don't want). Let the caulk set up in those threads before you install the c*** on the tank. That should work OK for you.
xackley

PostPosted: September 16, 2008, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't recommend MikesXS non-vacuum Petcock.

Gasoline dissolves Teflon Tape. Not something I want in my jets.

As to my opinion about MikesXS, I will be checking the other vendors for my XS650 needs.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1