650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?
    Forum Index -> Engine
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 8:34 pm    Post subject: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

has anyone used the Fuji element sump filter? seems like it's a much improved design and even has two magnets on it!!! guess I get excited over the little things. screen and glue seems MUCH more substantial compared to the (what appears to be) OEM filter I just took out. the one I took out had a very flimsy screen and no magnets that I recall.
however, when i got home to install, one of the 3 bolt "guides" inside the filter was pushed of to the side so you couldn't get the bolt through.
would i be safe drilling it? the metal would then be inside the filter. would this be OK?

also, the copper washers i ordered are like ten times thicker than the ones i took off...hope they don't leak.
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 9, 2008, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

do i need to put a liability waiver on here so you guys will reply? LOL

would i be safe drilling it? the metal would then be inside the filter. would this be OK?
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 9, 2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

Not sure what the Fuji element sump filter is.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 9, 2008, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

The magnets are on the side of the standard filter and on sump plug.

If you use non detergent 20W50 "classic" type oils they are designed to run with this kind of filter and let contaminants seep to the bottom, where as later tech oils including 20W50 semi's dont seem to allow this so well.

Upgrade the filter on the side of the engine. It will be more effective and you can get cooler oil at the same time if you use the extended one
Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

I'm running Castrol motorcycle 20W-50 and have installed the "high performance" filter kit on the right side of the motor. But, haven't had a chance to run it since I'm waiting on another oil sump filter/screen.

darn thing came in with only two usable bolt holes!
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

You should be able to get all the metal out if you drill it. You will hear it when you shake it anyway..

Or..just send it back?
Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

they have another one on the way, but i'm an impatient SOB. LOL
might as well wait another day or two to be safe....i'll hang this one on my wall in the garage to stare at in the winter.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

Send it to me as payment for the free advice Smile LOL ...ahaha
Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 12, 2008, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

Jake68 wrote:
Send it to me as payment for the free advice Smile LOL ...ahaha

sounds fair to me.
Please send 19.99 shipping/handling first. Laughing
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 12, 2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

LOL...

err....:-)
Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 13, 2008, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

took her for a bit of a spin last night....slooooow little thing.
hoping the techron will slowly clean the carbs and increase performance. as the miles racked up, she seemed to do better.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 13, 2008, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

rsylvstr wrote:
took her for a bit of a spin last night....slooooow little thing.
hoping the techron will slowly clean the carbs and increase performance. as the miles racked up, she seemed to do better.

Oh yeah they are slow in comparison to modernity, but there is something special about them, they way they make the power they do have, and all the possibilities they open up if you like building things with them...tracker, bobber, chopper, cafe, hill climper...etc etc etc...
Photo Gallery
rsylvstr

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

since it's my wife's deceased father's, it will always be special....maybe i can put it in the living room LOL.
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 14, 2008, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: sump screen/filter manufacturer defect...can i drill it?

Definately worth keeping nice Smile
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1