650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Petcock Rebuild

Petcock Rebuild
    Forum Index -> Fuel
metalredneck

PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 9:08 am    Post subject: Petcock Rebuild

Question Anyone have any luck refurbishing non-vacuum ('74) petcocks? Any hints, tips, ways to be cheap abut things? Question
JeffM

PostPosted: September 13, 2008, 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Petcock Rebuild

I had mine apart a few times. Buy Mike's XS rebuild kits @15 bucks each and make sure you smooth out all the internal surfaces with 1000 grit wet or use small hobby files to remove burrs; especially the back of the tap handle that contacts the 4-hole washer. Get a couple of 20-6421 petcock filters while you are at Mikes and do away with inline filter problems. 3/16 fuel line will fit and doesn;t need a clamp, it is only a pain the first time. I finally found the source of my petcock weep... one of the faceplate mounting screw holes was stripped, retapped it to 4mm and all is good.

The petcocks on my 72 are chromed, and a spare set (also 72) are not... curious!

Jeff
metalredneck

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Petcock Rebuild

Thanx. I got a set from some unknown donor cycle that I managed to graft on, and now she's continent again.
ChaosMachine

PostPosted: September 19, 2008, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Petcock Rebuild

My left one leaks and also seems to be clogged when I select the reserve setting, think the old '76 petcocks need to be replaced? I can't reliably start my bike on the side stand either, on center stand, first try every time!
metalredneck

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Petcock Rebuild

My '84 used to do that. I used the centre stand all the time. Never did find out why.
ChaosMachine

PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Petcock Rebuild

Well, we took them apart last weekend and OH MAN the amount of varnish type build up, grit and what looked like rubber cement was clogging these to no end. On top of that the rubber 4-holed gasket had so much loose rubber and debris it was barely getting fuel through. I took them apart and thoroughly cleaned them both out, and now I can start it on the side with the kick or electric! So if you have issues with leaks or slow flow take them apart and at least clean them. I am considering a revitalize kit from Mikesxs for each...

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1