650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Tachometer Help!!

Tachometer Help!!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
cfinn1

PostPosted: May 18, 2006, 9:34 am    Post subject: Tachometer Help!!

I have a '81 XS650 that the two small tachometer face plate screws have come out on. I took the tach head out of the case but I can't figure out how to get the front faceplate off so I can put the screws back in. Anyone have any ideas how you get the collar that holds the front glass/plastic cover off??? HELP!!!!
Photo Gallery
jp1979

PostPosted: May 18, 2006, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

I THINK its crimped on, you may have to do some creative disassembly of the ring from the housing. I picked up a used tach of ebay for pretty cheap awhile back.
cfinn1

PostPosted: May 18, 2006, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input. As long as there is no correct "solution" to get it off I will try the creative approach.
Photo Gallery
79xs650

PostPosted: May 27, 2006, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

I have the exact same situation...i was thinking of drilling a small hole in front of the 2 holes and somehow use a magnet and a small screwdriver to tighten em up.....but i can wait....i still have one screw holding it in..haha
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2006, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

i just peeled mine off to fix a loose bottom i used a small screwdriver and went around lifting the edge after fixing the problem i used channel locks to squeeze it back down don't try to to do to much at a time and it is possible
kibokojoe
Site Reporter
Site Reporter

PostPosted: May 28, 2006, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

The trick to opening a tach or speed gauge is to use very small flat screwdriver. 1/8 - 3"16" wide. I sharpened mine so I could work it under the edge. Working from the back of the dial bezel, slide the screwdriver under the edge and slowly work your way around the bezel a little at a time. The trick is to not hurry and try not to crease the bezel. If you take your time you can flatten out the bezel enough to slide it over the gauge. I am working on making a tool that will fit on a miniature airhammer that will vibrate its way around the bezel. I will let you all know how it goes.

Ken
Photo Gallery
cfinn1

PostPosted: May 31, 2006, 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer Help!!

I tried the prying method but I wasn't having much success, probably didn't have a thin enough flat screwdriver. I ended up using a hack saw blade to carefully cut the aluminum bezel, did the screw on the face plate back in and used lock-tight, the put the bezel back on and used JB Weld. I used a large hose clamp to hold the bezel in place while the JB Weld cured. Not the most eligant solution but it did the trick.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1