650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

Anybody using mikes Part #20-0019. It's supposed to be a bolt on replacement/improvement over the stock vacuum petcock.

I finally got my carbs rebuilt and road to the gas station for a premium fillup. While I was filling my buddy started yelling that there was gas pouring out of my new pod filters. Shure enough there was a LOT of gas coming out of the pods.

I've since varified that the float levels are good and they function properly. The vacuum petcock was working earlier while I was working on the bike and only had a little bit of gas in the tank. But apparently the ride down to the gas station must of loosened stuff up or something.

Also the whole time I was working on the carbs and setting up for the ride I only had enough gas in the tank to run off of PRI, it didn't even have enough to run off of the RES position. So, no leaks with little pressure...major leak with a tank full...vacuum petcock that works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work...obviously takes the fun out of trying to work out bugs with other stuff. I'm getting rid of any future issues that a stinking valve might cause. MANUAL valve here I come.

Best ideas welcome...

Thanks
renloy

PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

I have one. Works great.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

The old vacuum operated petcocks just can't be trusted. I didn't like them because they do not have an "Off" position. The manual ones from mikesxs work great............... a little expensive but worth it.
The little nylon strainers that attach to the vertical tubes of the petcocks will fall off from vibration...............found mine in the bottom of the tank. I use the strainers that slide into the body of the petcock, and I also use inline filters.
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

I picked up a manual petcock from Old Bike Barn, Mikes was out of them at the time. Works great. 44 mm baseplate needed for the Specials and you have to do a little opening to the tank where the pet goes in. Nice fine screen on the petcock and along with an inline filter equals no worries.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 31, 2008, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

SRDESIGNER wrote:
Shure enough there was a LOT of gas coming out of the pods.

I've since varified that the float levels are good and they function properly.

I'm getting rid of any future issues that a stinking valve might cause.

Best ideas welcome...

Thanks

The float valve is a valve. If it is working properly gas won't flow through the pods. Even if you have a direct open line from your source.

I have three of the manual petcocks. 2 worked great of the shelf. 1 need alittle bedurring to get it open and close easily.

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Vacuum Petcock from Mikes?

Well I placed another order with Mikes today. I also ordered a one-piece shift rod to get the shipping free...I'll eventually need it if I can keep the bike running long enough to shift a couple times.

Thanks for the help, I think I'm closing in on this thing.

SrDesigner

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1