650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Rebuilding engine

Rebuilding engine
    Forum Index -> Engine
deecha

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding engine

Time to rebuild my engine on my 1980 XS650 so I have some questions about the whole thing. I am thinking about getting my cases, cylinders, head, and side cover cleaned out i.e. sand blasting or bead blasting because I would like to repaint engine and make it look good. I just want to know some pros and cons of either blasting or no blasting, definately don't wanna mess anything up. I have heard before that blasting can leave stuff in oil passages so not sure what I am going to do. I am not going to hot rod the bike just put one size over on pistons and put all new seals and gaskets to avoid future leaks. I am also putting the taller fifth gear in trans from mikesxs and possibly regearing. If anyone has any other suggestions or just wants to help me out some how I would be more than appreciative of it. Thanks
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding engine

Rings and all still are in spec.......right piston score could be a problem and another could be found....the ole it runs hotter thing on the right I would suspect.......can't say I put one back together with a score especially if it was the cylinder........but 40 thousand miles ago I put mine back together with those specs......still runs perfect.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
deecha

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding engine

xsJohn......I will try and get some pics of the barrels and see what you think. I am also gonna try putting the dimples on the piston skirts.
Photo Gallery
deecha

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding engine

pics of barrel and piston
Photo Gallery
deecha

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding engine

piston
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding engine

Didn't see any score marks in the cylinder...........maybe just polish the piston a bit and try it.......hell the worst that could happen is having to take it apart again.......at least thats the way I would look at it.......have 62 thousand on my stock dimpled pistons.......and I always take the sharp edge off the first two rings with some 220 paper....not the oil rings......light hone the cylinders.......have to remember though I am a bit of a "MacGyver".............and I bet my needles would have saved that cylinder....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1