650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator
    Forum Index -> Electrical

Is the SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator worth the $400 investment?
yes
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
NO
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

ted650chopper

PostPosted: August 25, 2008, 4:53 pm    Post subject: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

My name is Ted. I've been poke around the site for a while. This is my first post.-having troubles with my charging system and I am considering buying the Permanent Magnet Alternator from 650 Central.com. I talked to Mike over at 650 Central he was helpful in answering some of my question.

Has anyone here used the SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator? if you have are you running it with a battery? what do you think about the setup.

Does anyone have the e-mail address for Ken Maxwell, XS electrical guru. I want to buy his cd for the 650 electronics but his website is no longer up... if anyone has his e-mail or phone number could you post informing.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: August 25, 2008, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

jimmythetrucker asked about the sparx alternator a few months ago. here, i dont know that it was much help. but i plan on putting one in my project engine. i dont care what anyone else says about it. seems like a damn good piece of equipment. on top of that 650central puts the tdc marks on it. it doesnt come marked for the xs650. check out the link. may help a bit.

650rider.com/index.php...ight=sparx

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

I want to get back on the road but wanted to fix it right. the SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator looks good but it's kind of spendey. I'm looking at the other magneto systems other guys have been running.. have you looked into using our modifying Yamaha Banshee magneto. it looks like it might be a cheaper and better system.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

I replaced my rotor once ($100) - then cracked the cover open with washers to let fresh air in when I ride (to help keep it cool) haven't had a problem since.
www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

I plan to install a Sparx after I get my putter up to where it's roadworthy. That'll be a few months, yet -- after the new exhaust system gets here and after the new carbs get here and after I get breaker-point ignition installed and working. . . . But yeah, I'm gonna go with a Sparx --

Unless Mr. Biff's Sparx installation blows up into a puff of smoke and then rains down from the sky as little, Sparxy, ashen flakes of what used to be his life savings. Then I'll try to get jayel to try one first.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

HA! thats funny, im sure it will work just fine. only unknown is me, i may eff it up. but right now. im getting the last bit of welding done on my bike, and dont have a spare dime to my name, wifes birthday, anniversary, and on top of all that, we are renovating our kitchen!

im in over my head

the bike will take back seat for a couple of weeks

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

Yeah, I know the feeling, Biff. We had the flood here in June. We didn't get any water in the house, but water came up from the ground into our basement. It wrecked our plumbing and our wiring and destroyed our well. Total bill around $11,000. And the county says we gotta have it all fixed within six months or they're gonna condemn our house.

Yeesh.

y bike is on the back burner, too.
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARX Permanent Magnet Alternator w/ Solid State Regulator

About that question -- Is the Sparx alternator worth the $400 investment? -- I gotta say it plainly IS worth the money.

Go to Mikes XS, add up the price of a NEW rotor and a NEW Stator and you get close to $400 just to replace your burned out, underpowered, factory juicemaker. Then you still got the hassle with brushes and the low-wattage output that denies you the power to load on auxiliary lights and other accessories.

Spend $400 for a Sparx, you're out a few more bucks initially, but then you figure you got all the power you need to load on all the lighting and accessories you want. Plus your wiring is simplified, you don't have to worry about brushes any more, I don't think there's any way to justify going with the stock replacement considering how little you actually save.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1