650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Oil leaking...

Oil leaking...
    Forum Index -> Engine
dryeager

PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Oil leaking...

I have just noticed that there seems be a small amount, but still noticeable, of oil running down onto the cooling fins in the front of the bike. Do you guys have any suggestions where this is coming from?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2006, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

to find your oil leak - clean the area with carb or brake cleaner, get the oil off and area dry, start and run, looking often you'll find it
Wulf

PostPosted: May 12, 2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

If you want to get real fancy with tracing the leak, go to a auto parts store and ask for a bottle of oil dye. If they look at you like you've just grown a third eye in the middle of your forhead you're in the wrong parts store. Napa definately has it, but then I hate Napa. It is a flourescent dye so after you pour it into the engine and run it for a while, you then use a ultraviolet light (black light will do) and you can see where the leak is coming from. Of course you would want to clean the engine well first. Give me a shout.
Wulf

Phred

PostPosted: May 13, 2006, 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

If you can't find it in a parts store locally, check with mechanics-the tool trucks can get it.
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: May 13, 2006, 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

Not knowing the exact location of oil seepage,I'd degrease the whole motor with Purple Power,retorque the cylinder nuts to 30 ft lbs and check the front and rear caps where you adjust the valves. But more than likely the head needs to be retorqued.................Jack
Wulf

PostPosted: May 13, 2006, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

be damn careful with the purple power!!!!! It will fade paint and eat aluminum. Dilute it with water and wash it off quickly and you shouldn't have any problem. I have a huge red Snap-On tool chest that I decided to clean and used the purple power on. I let it set for a few minuites and imediently turned my nice shiney toolbox to a very dull red. Then a couple of years ago based on the advice of a fellow mechanic I soaked one of the four carbs of my 600 Radian in purple stuff. Now granted, he didn't say not to leave it soaking overnight. I now have a totally useless, powdery covered paperweight that used to be a carb. Purple Power is great for getting rust out of tanks. Yes you CAN leave that in the tank overnight, (assuming its not aluminum of course) and get great results. Just be carefull what you use it on and how long.
Wulf

Jack

PostPosted: May 13, 2006, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leaking...

Oops. Rolling Eyes I forgot to mention like Wulf stated,Purple Power has terrible eating habits so use some caution or use products thats safe for degeasing aluminum or painted surfaces............Jack

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1