650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > permenate magnet gemerator

permenate magnet gemerator
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Crab

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 3:53 pm    Post subject: permenate magnet gemerator

I haven't been much on posting, but have spent a lot of time reading the post on this great site. As my "78F have been blogged with electrical problems. Which I've taken care of one after the other,stripping out most of the "unnessary' crap and making sure things were working as best as possible. That is till the second rotor went out. That when I made up my mind the alternator had to go. I picked up a stator and a rect./reg. from a Honda VF500 "86, and the Banshee flywheel. Built my own adaptor plate. Put it all toghter and it actually worked. Which is an understatment.LOL This thing is working fantastic. I can sit and idle the bike with the lights and blinkers on the lights being nice and bright. The bike has more power throught the entir throtle range, there's no more coughing, dead spots, or missing. At idle it's charging at 13.25V and 14V at 2500rpm.Lights on or off makes no differance. I don't think the bike will run as it is without the battery, but that may have to do with how I wired in the R/R. I'll look more into that later. I know you guys are big on pic's, but my bike such a "POS", I'm embarrest to post any.For now. With the bike running as it is I'll have more time to work on how it looks, then I'll post some pics. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. You guys are great, and this board is Fantastic. Crab
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

We don't care if you ride a toilet. We just wanna know how you did that alternator mod.

Thanks for the flowers.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Photos please mate Smile
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

jimmythetrucker wrote:
We don't care if you ride a toilet. We just wanna know how you did that alternator mod.

I nominate this as the greatest statement in the last 6 months..
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Good work Crab, I love innovation. Let us know how the bike performs when its fully up and running on the street.
jimmythetrucker...............you have a way with words!
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

My bikes always run great and look terrible. I don't give a s*** for flashy iron, which is why I say I don't care if some guy rides a toilet. To me, an unpolished motorcycle conveys the owner's good sense. I mean I admire a showy bike but I don't want the hassle. I want one I can ride to hell and back, and never worry about a breakdown. Ask yourselves this: If you polished motorcycles for a living, how long would you want to keep that job?

I mean when I was truckin' I knew guys who worked 20-hour days for two or three weeks in a row. When they finally get a day off in Bakersfield or Fresno or LA, they get out the polish and the buffer and spend their day off working like dogs to put a shine their iron. I knew guys who passed up good freight to spend their time hauling cheap freight between California and Florida because they didn't want to get snow and slop on their nice, chrome, Bud wheels.

I just painted my Bud wheels white and drove through the truckwash once a week. That's enough of a show for the people you pass on the freeway -- who don't pay to look at you any way. When I got a day off in a good town, I crawled under the rig and greased it and tightened all the nuts and bolts. If anything was broken, I fixed it. Then I got cleaned up and went for a decent meal and a few belts of booze and a good night's sleep at a good motel. Rub polish on a fuel tank? Not me! I'd rather rub some pretty gal's butt.

I treat my scooter the same way I used to treat my truck. Life is too short to spend long days polishing metal for show.
killtrip

PostPosted: August 12, 2008, 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

jimmy, I might just start a new religion in your honor..

you're my new hero. Very Happy

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 12, 2008, 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

What a bloke .. Good on yer mate,a true biker.. Cool
Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: August 12, 2008, 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Man after me own heart, sod the polishing.
Photo Gallery
p73ornstar

PostPosted: August 12, 2008, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

True statement jimmy, but I myself enjoy having at least one shiny jewel in my garage. The rest can rot like you said. HEY CRAB!! How bout some pics on the alternator mod and some how to's on it. I'm sure alot of guys here would love to see it.
Crab

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Sorry, it's taken so long to add a few pic's. But that's life.

mag2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.13 KB
 Viewed:  136 Time(s)

mag2.jpg

78se.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.03 KB
 Viewed:  109 Time(s)

78se.jpg

mag1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.17 KB
 Viewed:  133 Time(s)

mag1.jpg

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Very nice !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Good JOB!!!...

I love electrics... LOL..

Seriously..my personal opinion is that the standard reg rect setup is crap, and when you dump that, things improve big style. The regulator especially works the standard setup too hard.

So the "banshee"? Whats that in UK bike speak? I gotta feeling its an RD350LC or YPVS is that right ? I dunno..How well does that hang off the crank?

Anyhow..did I mention good job
Photo Gallery
sinister_customs

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

the Yamaha Banshee, one of the most recognized race quads in the states, i don't think year should matter cause they were all the same, although you may want to compare part numbers for differant years and be sure.
Photo Gallery
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 21, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

ummm....

So...basically if I cant get this right..

The rotor is a perm mag type and bolts straight onto the XS650 crank and keyway.

Then all you have to do is make an adapter plate setup that puts the stator in the rotor's magnetic field.....

Whats the rectifier regulator setup like? All in one Yamaha proprietry?

Was also wondering about flywheel effect, if its light, if the engine feels more or less responsive?
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

..Err...So what is a Banshee ...?...
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

a 4 wheeler with a 2 stroke twin 350(similar to RD350LC or RZ350 motor).
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Crab I think your bike looks just fine. Very Happy

Banshees are common enough around here that if I paid attention I could find parts. My local craigslist search brought up 50 hits. Mostly complete ones but a few parts ads.
A picture XS1961:

kansascity.craigslist....54516.html

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Banshee, quad with a RD 350 LC motor, no power valves!
y iggy is from a RZ 350 power valve motor, so I guess the LC & P/Valve are both the same anyway.
Bolts straight up, mine has a custom stator plate (with only 2 field windings, as I dont run lights or a battery) Pick up coil is mounted on the stator plate. Pick up plates on the LC rotor are the same (LC's are 180* firing). So it runs a waste spark every cycle, you could remove waste tang off rotor I guess, though I havn't found the need!

BiffTirkle

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

id like to know how you have this installed. a parts list, and such. if this is as good as you guys say, i can save some money.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 22, 2008, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Man we invented the LC Smile ...or at least I did..LOL..then I got a new license and wanted to keep it a little longer Smile
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: September 23, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

I'm with Biff on this one.. write up a how-to maybe?
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Check out the Vault
Photo Gallery
Everything_To_Xs

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: permenate magnet gemerator

Ahhh yeee old VF 500 stator conversion, Nice job!

anyone want any? i have a ruck of these.

And the RD 350's aswell. 32 to be exact.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2