650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Loud "Whiring" Noise...
    Forum Index -> Engine
Mace

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Hi All,
Here is my story:
Picked up an 1980 xs650 special a few weeks ago.
Had it running...and she ran great! Put maybe 40 miles or so on it, then started to have an electrical issue. I have a thread going on the elactrical forum and was able(with the help of some forumites) to figure out what the problem was....bad pick-up coil. While I was having this problem I was able to get the bike started one day and took it for a couple of rides. I was up to about 70 miles(total) and I started to notice a whiring/whining sound comeing from the motor (a sound that was not there at first).
Now I have the bike running again and this noise is still there and kinda loud.
Any ideas on what it might be?
The bike has just under 6K miles on it. When I started having the electrical issue I had a really loud backfire happen....couple of days latter was when I was able to get it running and then only after riding 15-20 miles or so did I start to notice the noise.

Any ideas, thoughts, things to check, adjust, etc...would be very welcome.
Thanks
ace
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

If you have checked the cam chain that every time I have heard a whirling noise it was a bearing.......mechanic's stethascope will help.......check the 4 mains up fron't........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Mace

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

I have not checked the cam chain.
I don't have a manual yet...is there a tutorial on how to check and adjust the chain?

I was looking at a similar thread on another board and someone suggested a clutch adjustment.
I adjusted the clutch on the lever when I changed out bars, but now I notice I cant roll the bike in gear with the ckutch in.
What is the proper procedure to adjust the clutch?

Thanks for the help.
Hope it's not a bearing!
ace
Mace

PostPosted: August 21, 2008, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Took the bike to a buddys who has a stethascope. He found that the noise was loudest when he put it on the starter. So maybe starter or starter clutch? I have to admit I did beat on the starter for a couple of days when I had the electrical problem.
Can I just try and pull the starter and start it with the kicker?
Any thoughts/help would be great!
Thanks
ace
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 21, 2008, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

You can even take the clutch completely out and it will start with the electric start....hurts nothing and the oil pump is still turning....that's how I determined I had a bad right side main this year.......hard to hear all that crap on the right side even with a stethascope......

IFANYONE HAS ANY OF THE ORIGINAL HEADGASKETS LAYING AROUND I CAN USE THEM.....PLEASE PM ME...............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Mace

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

OK, here is a question. If your bike is running and you hit the starter button does anything happen? Like on a car if you turn the key when the motor is running you can hear the starter engage. Does the same thing happen w/ these bikes? I had mine running and decided to hit the starter button to see what would happenand nothing did.
The reason I ask is I was wondering if the starter is staying engaged and is spinning with the motor. That might make a loud whiring sound....no?
Thanks for the help.
ace
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

The safety relay removes power from the starter relay( solenoid) so the starter push button does nothing.
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

I have just purchased a right side engine cover with oil sight glass off e-bay and I noticed a half circle scrape mark on the inside of the cover that looks like the clutch basket was rubbing the case. I looked at 2 more for sale on e-bay and seen the same half circle marks. Is it common for the clutch to touch the case? Could that be the source of your noise?...................BG

PostPosted: August 22, 2008, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

George, that's interesting....after my top end rebuild I was having some noise appear around 3k rpm and then go away at wind out, only to reappear in the next gear and so on. I did a clutch adjustment and a new clutch cable, routing along the backbone and coming into the case from the rear.... along with some stouter clutch screws and newer fibers and the noise is gone. Neutral an easy find also.
Mace

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

I checked out the sarter set up on my spare motor.....and after looking at it I don't think it's the starter itself that could be the problem. It is not the type that shoots out and engages the gears...which blows my theory.

Decided to drain the oil and pull the left case cover and take a look around.
Nothing major on the oil plugs...maybe a little fine dust. Oil looked like it needed to be changed.
Didn't notice any scrape marks on the inside of the case. And a visual inspection of the motor yielded nothing.
This sucks!!! I want to ride............
ace
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Like I said before.....every time I heard a whirling sound it was a bearing..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Mace

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

I know John. I have just been trying to deny it. Crying or Very sad I wanted to try and rule out as much as I could before I submitted. The bike has less than 6k miles on it so it's hard for me to accept it's a bearing, but you may be right.
Can someone tell me how to adjust the cam chain?
Thanks
ace
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Warm the engine to "operating temperature".....take the acorn nut off......loosen the binding 27MM nut.....with the engine running.......turn the threded nut in......the one with the 10MM on it in till the center rod only boggles a bit.....Like 1MM or so........I won't hurt to tighten it down till it stops the boggle so you know where you are at....then back it out a bit....maybe 1/4 to half a turn.....can actually do it with a rag...the rod needs to boggle a bit or it is too tignt........maybe the thing was never adjusted....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Mace

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Loud "Whiring" Noise...

Got my clucth gasket in last week and today had time to mess with it. Put it all back together and tried adjusting the cam chain. No luck! The noise remains. So I decided it was time to do the motor swap. A buddy came by and helped me pull the old motor and then helped get the new one in with at least a couple of bolts before he took off. Spent the rest of the night puting it all back...at least to the point I could turn the key and try to start her. She took a few turns and then fired right up! I am a happy boy! Just hope it will last me the next couple of months at least. Think I'll take the other one down and do a rebuild.
Thanks for all the help!
ace

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1