650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

Broken tab on Gov. ass'y
    Forum Index -> Engine
blkshp725

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 1:20 am    Post subject: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

I found a tab is broke on my gov. assy. "I'm guesing thats what its called" Anyway I was wondering if this will effect how the bike will run. And or am i SOL....
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

get a new one from mikesXS about $6.50 US
grizld1

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

What you get from Mike's for $6.50 is new springs and circlips. The ATU rotor is pictured only to show where they're installed. The last time I priced a new ATU rotor (about 12 years ago), Mamayama wanted around $350 for it.

The machine will not run with a broken tab; the tabs limit the travel of the bob weights in full-advance mode. When the ATU wears, the interval between retard and advance positions widens so that timing cannot be dialed in at both advanced and retarded positions. The caveman fix is to tap or bend the tabs in to reduce the interval. When this is done (I can't count the number of times I've posted this!), the tabs will break in less than 1K miles. The material is hard-tempered and will not hold if tweaked.

You have two ways to go. One is to try to find a used ATU rotor and hope it's good. If it's worn, there are a couple of fixes, neither of them easy for a novice. You won't know if it's good till you mount it and try to time. The other way to go is a Boyer ignition, which eliminates the ATU. I prefer the older Micro Digital; Pro-Flo and 650 Central both have it. You'll also need a 4 to 5 Ohm double-throw coil, also available from those sources. The whole shot will set you back a bit more than $200. You will need a strobe-type timing light to dial it in properly, so if you don't have one factor that in. The installation takes some fabricating.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/

They have 2 in stock so you can have a spare.

256-81653-10-00
GOVERNOR ASY

$124.16

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

Excellent price, if it's new reproduction or NOS! That's an excellent supplier, too; I've bought from them.

PostPosted: May 7, 2006, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken tab on Gov. ass'y

Man thats what i was afraid of... Thanks for the info.. was hoping you would say I could duct tape or elmers glue it or something... Damn my luck..LOL... $350 thats as much as I paid for the whole bike... Well I guess after I get it I'll have to ask how to time it.. till then I'll have many other questions about other parts and cleaning......

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1