650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
billc

PostPosted: August 2, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

Rode this bike for th last 2 season's off and on with my other bike's,just looking for any common place the harness rub's or short's.Bike blows main 20 amp fuse within a mile,stop insert new fuse will blow again.while on the road checked under side cover and headlight bucket found nothing.I left her sit,and am riding another for now till I get a little time to look closer.Any Idea's Thanks for your imput.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 2, 2008, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

The tail light bulb or socket can cause short circuits like this, but that's just a guess. What is the battery voltage when the bike is idling? A low voltage reading would indicate a heavy current flow, but if the short is intermittant that will be hard to find.
Does the fuse blow at a specific event such as turn signal applied or brake applied?
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

A short somewhere..An elimination process - try disconnecting various parts of the circuit one at a time & then starting-up ..
Say, rear lighting , reconnect ,
then brake-light switch,
re-connect,r/h switches,l/h switches , headlight etc etc..
Photo Gallery
billc

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

Thanks for the info guy's,no I can't think off a certain event that trigger's the fuse to blow that would make it much easier though.The next two weeks are busy for me,was just hoping for one of those miracle answer's that is easy and quick so I can get back on.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 72 blows main fuse,any quick thought's?

Wrap tin-foil around the fuse..... Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1