650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > chopper wiring

chopper wiring
    Forum Index -> Electrical
deecha

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 7:57 pm    Post subject: chopper wiring

I am trying to eliminate all unwanted extra components from my bike. All I need on my bike is the headlight, tailight, charging and ignition system. I wanted to know what all I can eliminate. Can I take out the safety relay? I am trying to keep this all simple, any help would be greatful thanks.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

You can take out the safety relay and the reserve lighting system, the clutch safety switch, the sidestand safety and several other stupid, useless items which, depending on what model year you've got, cause an array of problems from time to time -- especially as the machines get older.

A thing to keep in mind -- if you're into restoration, you'll have to put all that crap back someday if you want to sell your bike for top dollar.

User jayel (here on the list) has posted a chopper wiring diagram for the XS, which seems to me to be precisely what you need. It's bare-bones wiring for the XS, illustrated.
deecha

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

Thanks a lot I really appreciate the info. I will update when I take off all the crap I do not need thanks again.
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

I'd be interested in this too.. starting from scratch, kinda like building a new wiring harness, just extremely minimalist.

Problem is, I know jack about electricity.. and schematics feel like they're written for someone other than me, lol..

I need a 'wiring for dummies' book
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

check my (jayels album) about a simple as it gets, run a wire from one point to another
killtrip

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

i looked there.. there isnt one specifically for my year(81sh).. is there one i could use directly as a replacement?

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: chopper wiring

I found this elsewhere.. maybe you could use it? Could I use it on my 81? I'm thinking yea.. but I'm wondering how to wire in blinkers with this.. I still need to have my bike inspected by the staters for street legal.. also a horn.. that should be simple though eh?

EDIT:

I was just looking at this diagram again..

What do you think is the 'ignition switch'? Is that the key? The killswitch? Not the electric starter button, eh?

points_wire_diagram.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.41 KB
 Viewed:  1212 Time(s)

points_wire_diagram.jpg

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1