650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Electronic Ignition?

Electronic Ignition?
Go to page Previous  1, 2
    Forum Index -> Electrical
5twins

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

I haven't done anything to the new points cam yet but do plan on trying to hone down the too far advanced side of the one lobe. As it is now, the split image will fit between the "F" slash marks so both cylinders are more or less within the acceptable range. They're just not matched to each other. One is timed probably 3 or 4 degrees different than the other. It showed, too. I had to turn my idle speed up after the install, not a good sign.
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

That would make it toughter to sync the cylinders......if it wasn't already hard enough......with the right and all the other vacuum stuff too......there is no doubt in my mind that you will fix it.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

I guess I'll stay with my stock dual point set-up. When I installed a dual output Accel coil and tied the points together in parallel, they were mis-adjusted and I did see 2 timing marks , but they were easily adjusted to bring the 2 marks back into line. I put the timing light on occasionally and nothing changes. The bike has more power than I need and I get about 47 MPG in mixed driving.
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Biff,
old topic I know, but I just did the single points converions with Mikes parts, and an ebay Harley dual coil. It runs superb. Idle, throttle, everything smoother now. I dont know if its just because all new stuff is there, but Im sure the 35K volts pushing through it helps. It took less than an hour and about $50. I havent put on that many miles but I'd say its the best bang for the buck so far. (no pun intended)

Oh yeah, you can also open up the plug gap a little too to make an even bigger spark now Wink

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

hal0tw0; You just found the best kept secret on these bikes. Install a good hot coil with 30K volts output and these bikes start and run amazingly well. I increased my spark plug gap to .038 " after putting on an Accel coil.
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

There is a rod on sale on ebay right now - saw it yesterday (8-14) under xs650. Don't have the exact link. I remember wondering what it was for - I have an 81.
www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Are the 1980 coils any good?

I have a 77 XS400 and a 80 XS400 parts bike..

Would it be best to swap the 80 coils over, swap the whole electronic setup or get a new coil to run with points?

William's Law ...
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

I only have 61K on my stock 80 ignition..........and stock coil.......

Have no idea why you would even consider getting rid of the best ignition system for the XS ....bar none.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

There's no one ignition system that suits everyone. If you're the type of person that does not want to do any maintenance, and don't enjoy tuning your engine, then electronic ignition is perfect for you. The stock yamaha TCI as proven by many, is reliable and gives a good spark. No points to adjust/replace and no mechanical advance weights to lube/maintain.
On the other hand, if you like to tinker and tune and enjoy mechanical things ( sorry. no bike hugging allowed Laughing ), then points ignition work very well on these bikes. A good strong dual ouput coil is all the points bikes need.
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: August 16, 2008, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Sorry XSJohn.. Just a little confused here..

I have a stock 77 with points and stock coils.

I also have a stock 80 parts bike. Motor locked up tight.. it's not going to run without a new motor. That 80 does have a complete Electronic Ignition with coils.

You say the electronic setup ya have is great but then when I ask about upgrading to the electronic you say I'm tossing the best.. Sorry.. I'm lost.
What factory setup is the best in your opinion? Electronic or points?

William's Law ...
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 16, 2008, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Thought you were running a stock electronic......had a 77 myself......don't miss the points what so ever.......carefull with some add on electronic junk that advances too quickly.....like full advance at 2500.......makes for crap .....many will disagree but I know........and all those slinging weights and all......more hassels for sure......especially if you run it a bunch like I do..........like 2 back tires a year......

since you have the stock electronic as a parts bike ......you have it......what a harness swap hassel that would be though........if it worked out what a gas that would be........not recommending just thinking...............

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 16, 2008, 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

You could swap the electronic ignition into the 1977. You would also have to swap the alt. rotor and the pick-up coil from the alternator ( or the complete alt stator) Additional wiring required as well.
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: August 16, 2008, 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Great.. thanks for clearing it up..

I looked at the wiring.. it's fairly basic to swap over..

the electronic ignition box joins the harness at the r/w and black wires.. the rest of the wiring runs between the EI box and the pickup coils.
Each Ignition coil also have a r/w 12v feed..

Remove the points, remove the advance system and mount the EI pickup system.
The r/w feed to the points coils should be a good point to hook up the new coils and EI box.. find a ground for the black wire and it's good to go.

We'll see if it's really that easy.. Looks like it can be done with no cutting on the stock 77 harness to it's totally reversible.

William's Law ...
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 16, 2008, 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic Ignition?

Cool.......you won't be sorry.......considering that all the parts work.....if not then fix them.....and clean all the connections and use dielectric grease......and the pickup coil is kinda put on the stator so you can't adjust the timing......grind off the break off junk and there will be a stud that you can grab and turn out easily.......the threads on the stud and stator are the same as the rest of the screws on the stator and aren't loctited in......best resuslts for me is a bit of retard.......epa advance and all...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2