650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New member from Georgia

New member from Georgia
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
scootertrash

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 5:37 am    Post subject: New member from Georgia

I have an '81 xs650sh that I bought last year. It is my transportation, rain or shine. I gave my car away because i just quit driving it and didnt want to pay for insurance. I have had to do several things to my bike since I got it. My last project was a transmission rebuild. Just ask and I can tell you several things not to do. Glad to be here.

0526081305.jpg
 Description:
This is before i did any work
 Filesize:  294.01 KB
 Viewed:  65 Time(s)

0526081305.jpg

Last edited by scootertrash on July 28, 2008, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: New member from Georgia

We're glad to have you. I would like to get down to one car in my household but it would not work without my service van. The bike can't carry all my tools!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
scootertrash

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member from Georgia

I work on computers, so I can carry everything i need to do service calls in a pair of ratty saddlebags.
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New member from Georgia

Welcome, scootertrash,

I have an '81SH also. It's a lot of fun, and easy on the wallet.

I also have a '78 E that is in the midst of an engine teardown. I've bought MikesXS's overdrive 5th gear and will be installing it. I've been planning to just follow the procedure in my Clymer's manual to install the gear, although I haven't read through that section at any level of detail yet. Any obvious caveats I should be aware of?

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
scootertrash

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New member from Georgia

Im jealous. I wanted to put an overdrive gear in mine but had to do an emergency rebuild with parts i already had. My son and i had decided you could probably break the case in two without having to pull the cylinders and head off. all the bolts for the case can be reached without. if i were to try that i would probably take out all the bolts and nuts then prop it upside down on wood blocks. Then break the case. That might make it easier to line up the pins on the bottom of the main bearings as well. If you should choose to remove the jugs you do not have to break the cam chain. Make sure you remove the tensioner and then you can tap the cam bearings with a ball peen hammer to remove them. The cam can then be worked out to the side. Put it back the same way. Make sure you check and double check the timing after the bearings have been put back and the tensioner adjusted. Be careful when you fut the case halves together that you dont pinch the wires that pass behind the shift shaft guard. Next time i am going to totally remove the guard and put it back as i am putting the drive chain back on. After many mistakes and trial and error i decided that from now on i will only attach the top and bottom mounts with only the parts necessary to make sure the engine starts. That way I can pull the engine back off easily to take care of anything that i might have forgotten. Good Luck! I'd like to know how that overdrive gear helps your mileage. I just dropped 2 teeth on my back sprocket. I dont know yet how it will affect my mileage. I do know that i am going to have have new clutch plates before long. It slips sometimes in fifth if i go to pass. Mikes has some links. to manuals and a step by step rebuild that would be worth looking at.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1