650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Mike's XS Brakes

Mike's XS Brakes
    Forum Index -> Drive
Fergie

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 12:27 am    Post subject: Mike's XS Brakes

I purchased a drilled rotor, front brake pads and rear shoes for my '82 a few weeks ago, and installed them my self. The installation went well, and I changed all the old fluid and bled the system with a new speed bleeder. When I took it out for the test drive it took me almost twice the distance to stop and almost had to lock the rear up to get it to stop. I rode it to work a few times, but never really felt confident, even after re-torquing the bolts.

Tonight I finally had time to take it apart again and look every thing over. The slide that the caliper bolt goes through was completely seized, so only the outside pad was pushing on the rotor instead of sandwiching it. I didn't have any grease on hand, so I carefully removed it, cleaned it, and installed it with some Lubriplate #105 left over from my engine rebuilding days, and it slides good. Took it out for a test drive and vuala, much better. It's amazing what a little lubricant will do.

Here are some pictures from the installation.

new_brakes_assebled.jpg
 Description:
All Done!
 Filesize:  370.23 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

new_brakes_assebled.jpg

new_rotor_on.jpg
 Description:
new rotor going on
 Filesize:  405.49 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

new_rotor_on.jpg

old_rotor_off.jpg
 Description:
old rotor coming off
 Filesize:  417.68 KB
 Viewed:  81 Time(s)

old_rotor_off.jpg

hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Brakes

looks great. Im sure this is common knowledge but you have to break in the new rotors and pads to get them to thier full potential. Most new brakes feel worse untill they have a few miles on them, but bedding them in is key. Smile
Fergie

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's XS Brakes

Yeah, when I was doing brake jobs in my earlier years, I would tell my customers to allow 400 to 500 miles of break in before they felt "new". I expect about the same for my bike brakes, and have noticed some improvement (beyond the seized slide) since I installed them two weeks ago. This is my daily commuter, so I have put about 300 miles on these brakes.

The ride into work this morning gave me a little more confidence in my brakes because I had to stop rather quickly for a semi truck turning onto the highway.

I also highly recommend getting a speed bleeder for your caliper(s). It allows you to bleed your brakes in about 1/2 the time it usually takes. I'm definitely getting a set for my mustang.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1