650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 11:34 am    Post subject: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Since the topic of "XSes for sale" is being discussed in another thread, I thought I'd go ahead and start this one, specifically about using Craigshelper.

Craigshelper is a web-based search tool that allows you to search multiple Craigslists for whatever. I've found it useful -- and entertaining -- to use for searching out XS650s. Currently, there are dozens of XS650s listed for sale on various CLs throughout the USA. Some for very good prices, most for fairly high prices, but the higher priced examples are clean bikes and, in many cases, the more desirable ones.

CL is also a good source for parts for these bikes, especially when using CH to help speed the process along. I'm looking for a rear rim for my '78 standard (got one? PM me if you do), and found a couple of sellers on CL who have XS650 parts. I emailed them both and eagerly await their replies Smile

Anyway, go here to get started:

www.craigshelper.com

It is a pretty intuitive interface. CH has a "sticky" search function, in that it remembers the search terms you plug in, even if you change around your options. The only thing I've found about it so far that is somewhat tricky is if you change countries from the US to any other beside Canada or Mexico. You use the Options selection to do this. If you change to another country, say UK, for example, in order to get back to the US, you must be at that country's search screen, then click on "Modify..." and then Options to reset things back to US/Canada/Mexico.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
acetek

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Gee thanks Mike this is the kind of stuff you keep to yourself Idea oh wait you already got a collection of bikes Wink Laughing
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Yeah, and no more room or bux to add any further to the collection . . . for now.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Barbara

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Hi Guys,

Yeah--this is cool! And just as an example, I just checked C/L Seattle, and found a 1978 XS, complete, for $500.00, and a 1975 that needs to be finished up for $750.

Both looked good, and if I had the spare money, I'd grab the '78!

Check C/L Seattle if you are in the area and want a nice XS!

y personal goal is to see bikes in the hands of riders, as compared to being investment items for collectors. Just my thing, and no disrespect intended to collectors. (No, really!)

The same C/L has a T100 Triumph for $7000.00!! OMG!!

Grab those XS's!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Something else I ran across as I was browsing through a bunch of Craigslist ads (I all the way to Minnesota, alphabetically, before taking a break) was a LOT of "Wanted XS650" ads. So, yeah, it would appear that these bikes' popularity is on the up-tick.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
kenb

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Cooltouch wrote:
Something else I ran across as I was browsing through a bunch of Craigslist ads was a LOT of "Wanted XS650" ads.

Yep, that's how I located my XS650. I just got impatient after searching Craigslist for a few weeks without much luck, so I changed my strategy and ran "XS650 wanted" ads instead. Since the free aspect of the service restricted me to running only one Craigslist ad at a time, I rotated my ad between different cities in the area every couple of days. Once I changed my approach, it only took about a week before I got the call to go look at the bike I was to buy.

Rest assured guys, there are XS650's buried in garages and barns all over the place out there. Many of them are owned by people who are hurting financially, and would love to sell you the bike once you put the idea into their head for them.

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
acetek

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Yeah in my area there are guys that troll craigs list for them just to bust em up and ebay the good bits and toss the rest in the chineese bound scrap bin, I responded to a local xs parts wanted ad just to make friends...come to find out it was a gap tooth peckerwood Twisted Evil looking for bikes to part out and probably my garage full of tools if he got a chance and could care less about the xs brotherhood Embarassed Rolling Eyes
erb224

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

The best price I found for one running was $1700 in my area... $600 for one that needs a timing chain Shocked

Glad I bought mine in the winter Laughing

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding XS650s for sale using Craigshelper

Acetek, was that ad you mentioned in Arlington? I was going to contact him for the same reason you did, but if it's the same guy, I won't bother. That's the other thing these threads are good for---finding out who the good guys and the not-so good guys are...
Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1