650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

Brake Mastercylinder for a 73
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
MN_TX650

PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

I contacted Mike about a rebuild kit for the front brake mastercylinder on my '73 TX650, but he said one is not available. He recommended one of his replacement cylinders, but I am hoping for one that has a round reservoir and is smaller like the stock one. His replacements have larger rectangular reservoirs. Does anyone know of an alternative that might look better? I am also installing clubman cafe bars and the reservoir will be at an angle.
Loco

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

sport and speed in the US still carried kits for the original MC about
4 mths ago (and still may )
but what they cost it was cheaper to get a new MC
i spoke to MR Morse at 650 central/ ( who is also the owner of vintage brakes) and I ended up Going a smaller bore MC with braided lines
and EBC pads they say it takes up to 200 miles of city style braking to bed them in but i'm pulling the lever with 2 fingers and nearly locking the front wheel works a treat
J
Photo Gallery
JeffM

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...500wt_1607

I think the early rd350/400 were the same cylinder. Rebuild kits for mid 70's Hondas are still available, they are the nice round alloy shape as well, and sized for a single disc.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

Do you happen to have a picture of the cylinder you went with Loco? Also, a link to the one you bought? Mine seems to be holding fluid fine at the moment, but I may replace it to be safe. Hate to have leaking or blow out on the highway!
280shooter

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

i have a 75 that needs the rebuild kit too.. mike said to go with a new type.

y only thought was will the hoses i have now. work with the new style.
I found some other parts place, that wants 80 bucks for a rebuild kit for my 75 bike,I dont think so..

Im going to go with the new style. and hope it works out...my bike doesnt run, but it sure will look good when im done with it.

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

I am polishing my old one. I figure if I can get it too look good, I will pony up for a rebuild kit. Otherwise, go with a new style. Just don't like the boxy look of the new ones. Not the same vibe as the old round style resevoir!
sschering

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Mastercylinder for a 73

What is the MC bore diameter?
If the spool is good you might be able to source some new rubber cup seals from another kit with the same bore size..

y XS rear MC has a Dodge Shadow wheel cylinder cup seal in it.
Same bore size and dirt cheep.

William's Law ...

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1