650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!

Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
gwamba

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!

My name is Tom and I live in Iron Mountain, MI (in the Upper Peninsula). It is about 110 miles north of Green Bay, WI.
I am a retired teacher getting back into cycles after over 25 years. My last bike was a 78 GS1000E Suzuki, full touring rigged, that took me across the USA a couple times.

y first bike was a Red/Silver1965 Triumph 650 and I always liked that style...

I recently purchased a red 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE from a neighbor... It is in great shape with 24,440 miles...not a scratch on the tank, sidecovers, fenders etc... My friend and I went over the brakes, electrical, new tires etc. He rewired the notorious turn signals and they work fine!

Two trouble spots... someone extended the fork tubes about 4" (makes the handling less stable) and the 2-1 aftermarket header exaust is too loud and backfires when throttling down. Overall the bike is really a joy to ride... especially after so many years!

Its nice to find a site where so many others love these great old 650 twins!
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!

Welcome aboard. My first bike was a '67 Daytona 500, 35 years ago. Love my '83 xs, feels like an old shoe. Got any pics? Would like to see what a 4 over would look like.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!

Good to have you join the group, we need more retired guys and gals on here Laughing . Yes, the 78SE I have is just too much fun. Be glad to help with any questions you have.
Photo Gallery
Fergie

PostPosted: May 19, 2009, 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone from Michigan's U.P.!

gwamba wrote:
My name is Tom and I live in Iron Mountain, MI (in the Upper Peninsula). It is about 110 miles north of Green Bay, WI.
I am a retired teacher getting back into cycles after over 25 years. My last bike was a 78 GS1000E Suzuki, full touring rigged, that took me across the USA a couple times.

y first bike was a Red/Silver1965 Triumph 650 and I always liked that style...

I recently purchased a red 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE from a neighbor... It is in great shape with 24,440 miles...not a scratch on the tank, sidecovers, fenders etc... My friend and I went over the brakes, electrical, new tires etc. He rewired the notorious turn signals and they work fine!

Two trouble spots... someone extended the fork tubes about 4" (makes the handling less stable) and the 2-1 aftermarket header exaust is too loud and backfires when throttling down. Overall the bike is really a joy to ride... especially after so many years!

Its nice to find a site where so many others love these great old 650 twins!

I may be a year late, but nice to hear from you. I went to school up in the U.P. (Michigan Tech eh!), and during the summer it is great biking country up there. I have a friend that lives not too far from you, and he just purchased an old Seca that he's fixing up, and I might get up there later this summer to go ride with him.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1