650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
TheDude

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 12:09 am    Post subject: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers? I bought a new pair on ebay for cheep. The guy said they were straight through, but they have a rather restrictive looking baffle. I'm trying to decide if I should return them or give 'em a try.

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

sinc they were cheap if you lik the way they look give em a try maybee you could drill the baffle.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

If you use them, can you post pics and let us know how you like them? I'm noodling replacing my turnouts at some point. Are they shorties? Having a tough time deciding on what pipes would be best for my bike, and you guys are not helping with all the ideas you're giving me! Crying or Very sad

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Are you talking about these? They're Dunstall replicas with a fixed steel baffle. They were the first mufflers I ran. Basically, the only good thing I can say about them is they look nice. Other than that, they're crap. Heavy, don't flow anymore than stock, sound "cheap", fit badly (leak at the joint), and one of the baffles blew out in a few hundred miles (they're just tack welded in).

I switched to Mike's Commandos and they are sweet. I mounted just one with one of the Dunstall reps still on and started the bike. What a difference hearing the 2 side by side.

dunstall replicas.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.34 KB
 Viewed:  688 Time(s)

dunstall replicas.jpg

TheDude

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

No, they are not the Dunstalls. Check the photos. they start with a perf core, then have a intricate baffle towards the end.

5twins, I like your bike. Are those Mac Headers? I just got a set from 650 central. (along with my 750 kit that I put on last night Very Happy )

BTW, if I put restrictive muffs on now, am I at risk of damaging anything? Maybe the crapy muffs would be good for a while so I really appreciate the good ones when I get them. My problem is that I don't have enough time to return these mufflers and order MIke's. I know, I should have dropped the extra $60 in the first place.

outlet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.86 KB
 Viewed:  495 Time(s)

outlet.jpg

inlet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.77 KB
 Viewed:  433 Time(s)

inlet.jpg

emgo 26in.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.21 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

emgo 26in.jpg

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Those look like shorty mufflers, similar to the ones Mike's sells but without the removable baffle. They may be pretty free flowing, you'll just have to try them and find out.

Yes, my headpipes are the MACs. They seal like crap at the head unless you make inserts from the ends of old stock headpipes.

homemade ars.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.78 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)

homemade ars.jpg

Joseph

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Do the mac headers blue from heat, the stocks retain such good color I was thinking of getting a used set off ebay when I do my exhust. I want to keep the originals original. I read that the special ,which i have is cut off to far forward for most aftermarket mufflers. I want to get head pipes froma roadster (standard). Anyone have expeirience with this? Comments apreciated.
Photo Gallery
Protrucker

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

I've got extra long reverse cone mufflers on my '75 & they work good.
I'm pretty sure that they're Emgo's. They came from JC Whitney.
Are these the ones that you've got: www.jcwhitney.com/auto...0000142714
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: July 3, 2008, 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

From your pictures I believe this is the way the mufflers work. First the exhaust is strained through the perforated tube at the inlet of the muffler. This removes much of the low tone. Next the exhaust is expanded into the body of the muffler. This is the best part as it gives a round, low tone to the sound. The outlet tube extendes some distance into the muffler which captures the sound pulse in the body of the muffler and adds quite a bit to the sound control by removing the harsh peaks of the sound wave.

Try the mufflers and see if the sound is acceptable to your ears. Get a buddy to ride by if possible because the sound will be different to others. You can try this trick but I don't know that it will work. The inlet tube that is perforated has a plate welded over its end. By drilling a hole into the middle of the plate the tone will change and the muffler will be much louder. It may sound like $hit so be ready to force a big screw or something like a short bolt into the hole. The larger the hole the more unmuffled the sound.

Or put the mufflers on craigslist and see if you can sell them.

Tom Graham
TheDude

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

below are some pics of the Mac headers and Emgo 26" Mufflers. I am still breaking in the engine, and I have some ignition advance mechanism issues, so it will be a while before I open it up.

So far, I am dissatisfied with both products. The Emgos are very quiet and make the bike sound like it has asthma. If I were more of a gentleman, they would work alright, but as it is, I need something throatier. If anyone knows where to get a reasonably priced set of straight through pea shooters, let me know.

The Mac pipes fit a little tight on the left side, but did not fit at all on the right. I spent all day tweaking on them until I could fit them under the clutch cover. I will still have to take them off to remove the cover.

I guess if buy cheep stuff, you can't expect much. I was still hoping they would be better

emgo muffs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.07 KB
 Viewed:  1421 Time(s)

emgo muffs.jpg

emgo muffs-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  316.32 KB
 Viewed:  583 Time(s)

emgo muffs-1.jpg

7-10-08 xs650.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  290.91 KB
 Viewed:  993 Time(s)

7-10-08 xs650.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

So you do NOT recommend then huh? They look just fine from the pictures though at least to me.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Don't get me wrong. I am actually quite pleased with the looks. So far they have not leaked (I have only gone 3 mi. so far). I will give them a chance and see how they perform, but ultimately, the muffs are too quiet for my ear. I am almost tempted to put the rusted out stockers back on. They sounded great.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

I think your front tire on backwards. Careful in the rain.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

according to the sidewall, it is positioned correctly. This tire is designed to be front or rear. If it were installed in the rear, it would rotate the other way.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

OK. Just looked like it would push water under the contact patch. What kind of tire is it?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

They are Avon AM26 Roadriders. They seem to work well, although I have not taken them out in the rain. That's not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Well if you wanna buy my reverse cones let me know Cool they're loud and sound pretty mean. They look a lot like yours except the baffle is removable. The baffle is just a tube that extends into the cone perforated all over it's length with holes. It's about the diameter of a beer can. Frankly they're too loud for me, I think I'm going to break down and get a set of mikes xs1 replicas. Of course yours are nice and brand new and mine are used and dirty but they'd probably clean up fine.
5twins

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Keep an eye on that sliding track single strap mount. They usually don't hold up for long on an XS. The bolt head breaks out of the sliding track. If you can, try to use the original muffler hangers so you can get 2 bolts in that sliding track. XS500 hangers fit even better.

I had clearance issues as well with my MAC headpipes. I just swapped on a later right cover with the oil site glass and now I have some more clearance. Yamaha beveled that protrusion on the bottom of the cover on the later ones .....

pipe clearance.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.89 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

pipe clearance.jpg

TheDude

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

I tried to use the stock bracket, but no dice. The slot is too far back. It would be nice; I would have rear foot pegs as they are connected. If I decide I like the pipes, I will fab up a better bracket.

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Yes, that's why the XS500 ones work better. Their forward hole is farther back than the 650 hanger .....

xs500 pipe hanger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.48 KB
 Viewed:  435 Time(s)

xs500 pipe hanger.jpg

650d-e-f pipe hanger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.99 KB
 Viewed:  428 Time(s)

650d-e-f pipe hanger.jpg

Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 11, 2008, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

tacoswild wrote:
Well if you wanna buy my reverse cones let me know Cool they're loud and sound pretty mean. They look a lot like yours except the baffle is removable. The baffle is just a tube that extends into the cone perforated all over it's length with holes. It's about the diameter of a beer can. Frankly they're too loud for me, I think I'm going to break down and get a set of mikes xs1 replicas. Of course yours are nice and brand new and mine are used and dirty but they'd probably clean up fine.

Before you take them off, you might try stuffing steel wool around the baffles or wrapping them with fiberglass "cloth" -- like the kind you get in a bondo kit. It should quieten them down some, and give them a warmer sound.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Radar

PostPosted: July 11, 2008, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

Dude,

Excellent looking bike. I have the same model/year, and I'm hoping to get mine to look that nice.

Tacoswild-

I'm interested in your used mufflers. email me at eric @ theworks.com
TheDude

PostPosted: July 11, 2008, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

I'm going to run these things for a while before switching. I am all out of time, money, and inclination at the moment.

PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: anybody ever use Emgo reverse cone mufflers?

OK, I've got about 400 mi. on the system now. after installing a 750 kit and pipes, I was expecting a noticeable power gain. What the hell else would I drop $800 for? All I have noticed is that I have less bottom end torque, but that's it.
I am hoping these mufflers are the culprit, for they are easy and relatively inexpensive to replace. They are very quiet which is nice sometimes, but they lack the deep throaty sound of my stock system (with rusted out baffles).

If anyone wants them, I would consider selling them, or even better, trading for a straight through system.

M at 650 central recommends the Dunstall Wide "O". I may go that way if none here has anything for me.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1