650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Stator question

Stator question
    Forum Index -> Electrical
79special

PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 8:53 am    Post subject: Stator question

There are a few of us wondering if a stator off a 79 xs650 will fit certain other bikes. If someone with more knowledge then me could take a look at this link and let us know if it will fit these others. 650rider.com/index.php...0106#30106

Also for those who have dealt with this longer, what do you think this stator is worth?
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

Just a point - the post you reference talks about a stator with brushes still on it - the stator is the outer windings that don't move (static -stator)
the rotor (rotate) is the middle part that spins and that the brushes ride on.

(I have seen many people on this forum confuse the two - not to insult - I was puzzled by the statement that the brushes were on the stator - when in fact they are mounted to the case and ride on the rotor)

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle

Last edited by jimdi on June 29, 2008, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
79special

PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

That is correct..the brushes contact the rotor but mount on the casing which encloses the stator. I seem to be confused by the point of this post.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stator question

For ease of installation, if for no other reason, you're better off replacing a stator from a bike with points to a bike with points, ditto for electronic ignition. I have both types of bikes, but without pulling the left sidecover, I can't say for sure what all would be involved adapting one type to another.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
chopperhack

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

My understanding is the stator is not interchangable if you simply want to plug either early and late into a stock wiring harness.
I'm working on the same thing but in a scratch wiring harness (homemade)...I just joined after polling a lot of other sites for conclusive info...I'll share what I know:
What I understand is the main difference between late and early model stators relates to the brush holder.

The brush holder on the early model stator grounds the inner brush to the stator case because the regulator varies the voltage to the rotor using a clipped positive signal. (thereby increasing or decreasing the magnet strength thereby increasing or decreasing the AC voltage out)

The brush holder on the late model isolates both brushes because the regulator varies the voltage to the rotor using a clipped negative signal.

There is a way to mate up early/late late/early involving getting hold of a late (isolated) brush holder and doing some filing to make it work on an early case, but I'm not clear exactly how the wires hook up after that.

y problem as shown in the attached diagram is hooking up the wires correctly in a scratch system. I've attached the incomplete diagram so perhaps someone can help me connect the dots and I'll complete the diagrams for posting here. (I have a late model diagram but figure I'll finish that later)
This is for early regulator to early stator...I'd like to complete a late to early pair of drawings as well...

xs early model draft schematic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.97 KB
 Viewed:  103 Time(s)

xs early model draft schematic.jpg

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

Here is a link from 650 Garage. Pamcopete has a way of explaining things that even us simple people can understand.
xs650temp.proboards29....hread=9336

chopperhack

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

Thanks, I've been studying his responses to try to solve this diagram...but have had trouble getting registered...cant seem to get an account activated number
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator question

Hey chopperhack,

The Garage has been experiencing a few problems ever since Proboard's server crashed earlier this month. The search function over there is broken also, and the board admin says Proboards is checking into it. This might possibly be related. If you want, I can give the admin a headsup that new folks are unable to register.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1