650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > The Swap Meet > > A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways > > Reserve Lighting Device

Reserve Lighting Device
    Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways
79special

PostPosted: June 19, 2008, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reserve Lighting Device

To be honest i dont know if anyone still uses these or not, but i have one i took off of my 79. I sold the bike and ended up finding the RLD in my toolbox. If anyone needs it you can have it for just the cost of shipping.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 19, 2008, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting Device

The RLD, thats got to be the most useless device ever put on a bike....................simply a case of engineers with too much idle time. If you can't recognize that your headlight is out and then operate a switch, then you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. My rant for to-day.
rsylvstr

PostPosted: August 13, 2008, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting Device

what is it for? i see it under the seat, but.....
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 13, 2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting Device

The reserve lighting device or system is designed to have the high beam come on if the low beam burns out. The high beam will operate at a lower voltage. This will enable you to get home and replace the bad bulb.
Other bikes have them too. I've seen on various forums posts about them. At least some Kaws have them.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
miller0613

PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting Device

can you just take these off or will there be electrical reprocussions?
xsjohn

PostPosted: August 14, 2008, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Lighting Device

First start button hit there is no headlight to drag down the starter.....best leave it on the bike if you can......less stress on everything for one hit on the button starts...would need to have carbs right for that though....second hit would have to turn the key off to reset.....xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1