650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > oil pressure concerns

oil pressure concerns
    Forum Index -> Engine
delirious

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 8:25 am    Post subject: oil pressure concerns

i have read most of the forums top to bottom, and have not seen info on this. years ago i was an avid XS400 rider, and it had an idiot light for oil pressure, and located the sending unit and plumbed in a mechanical pressure guage. After that fkn mech guage exploded in my face @ 80mph and covered my gogs with black oil i went `lectric guage n sending unit. sorry about the boring 400 story but my question is.....is there a way to monitor the oil pressure on my `80 XS650 special?
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

Quote::
is there a way to monitor the oil pressure on my `80 XS650 special?
good question. I'd like to know if the oil passage was blocked or any other oil presure problem asap, same as the volt meeters i've seen lately good to know before youre stuck.

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

Watch your neutral light.....gets brighter when you rev it........and if just a passageway was blocked I doubt that a pressure guage woud notice it since these have very low oil pressure..........guage would have to be right off the field side of the oil pump.........the oil goes to the main oil galley that is across the front of the engine below the barrels.......and is divied up there and follows the path of least resistance controled by the size of the holes that leave the main galley..........trans ....mains....clutch.....top end.....ect.........take some from one and it just goes somewhere else and a faster pace.....and open one and it flows ther more and taking away from the rest.........and if the tack ever quits it is best to stop and check things......the oil pump drive also runs the tack and if the oil pump drive craps so may the tackometer............xsjohn
Photo Gallery
delirious

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

thnx.....i`ll go frm there, really like knowing wuts going on...yanno
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

you don't need no stinkin oil pressure gauge. you need an oil flow gauge. ball bearings are wet lubed, not pressure lubed.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

once in a while my tack dosent read right, I know it is at about 1100 idle and sometimes at lights it reads about 1500. any comments.
ok is ther a way to moniter oil flow? Just curious realy, don't plan on doing anything soon.

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

Idol will speed up when they get real hot....too bad they ain't water cooled but saying that Roy will beat me up........and I am too scrawny and old to fight back....................xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on June 12, 2008, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oil pressure concerns

I know there are industrial flowmeters but I have never seen an automotive equivalent. Maybe check with Autometer?

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1