650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork
    Forum Index -> Drive
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 1, 2006, 9:43 am    Post subject: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

Not sure if the pics will show it well. I was taking my front end apart last night and snapped the front / leading stud off on the axle cap mount. ARGH!!!

How do I repair this? Looks like it will not unscrew from the fork leg so I thought I will have to cut it off flush, drill out, then tap and install new stud. Is this correct?

arghbrokestudcap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.24 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

arghbrokestudcap.jpg

arghbrokestud.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.9 KB
 Viewed:  317 Time(s)

arghbrokestud.jpg

Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: April 1, 2006, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

That would be my fix, although if you want to polish a replacement lower leg, I have a front fork set that can be "free to a good home". It's off a '75. The only thing I would be concerned with about drilling and tapping for a new stud would be aligning the new threads with the original. I might suggest drilling the hole oversized to remove all old threads and welding the hole solid before drilling and tapping for a new stud.
Photo Gallery
hesredbird

PostPosted: April 1, 2006, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

If you can get vise grips on it, it may back out.
If not, try an easy out.
If you deside to drill it out, use the tap drill and use a drill guide of some sort. Then hand tap the old threads out. After you drill the stud out, the threads should be all that's left in the hole. Retapping should not be a problem if you are careful.

Yer pal, Red
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: April 1, 2006, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

heating the stud with a propane torch may help loosten it a bit as well
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

I hate when this happens! I would not saw the stub off just yet, although I may be a little late in this thread. That stub is all you have to work with now and it will be a shame when it is gone.

Lots of penetrating oil. Not so much as the waste runs off the side but a little and let it set, then a little more later, over and over until you get back to working on the stud. Gives the oil time to get where it does some good.

Tap the stud to break the corrosion bond loose. A steel stud at the bottom of an old aluminum fork leg has suffered from bimetalic corrosion. Grip that sucker hard and twist back and forth to break the bond and loosen it up in the threads. Many nuts and bolts that have suffered years of weather will tighten as they are removed, if the part is screwed back in then out the particals that are wedged in the threads spread and loosen their hold.

Heat is great but I'm not so sure a propane torch is enough to do anything. I've never had much luck with propane (didn't stop me from trying however). Now an OxyAcetylene torch, that's another story. Be careful though, an AO torch can melt stuff.

Tom Graham
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

I haven't started trying to remove it yet. I was hoping that someone out there had actually replaced one. Is it threaded, pressed or cast in? It's hard to tell by just looking at it.
Photo Gallery
Phred

PostPosted: April 4, 2006, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

"PB Blaster" is by far the best penetrating oil I have ever used-liquid wrench doesn't even come close!
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 5, 2006, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

They actually had the stud, last one, at Donelson's, Yamaha dealership. It's just a run of the mill stud. But at least I know what it is.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: April 6, 2006, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ARGH!! Broken Stud on Front Fork

Got it replaced;-) I heated it with a torch and melted some candlewax, cheap birthday cake kind, around the stud. let it cool and using the vise it came right out. I really thought it was going to be a nightmare.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1