650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
fxrs89

PostPosted: March 21, 2006, 11:38 am    Post subject: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

Back in 1979 I was a High School Senior on a Navy Base in Subic Bay Philippines, I worked at the Navy Exchange garage and worked on/assembled new Hondas and Yamahas for Marines and Sailors. I had a beat up RT-2 360 painted blue to look like an IT-400. I dreamed of owning the HUGE 650 twins I assembled for the squids, but I could never afford one. I was further frustrated to find that Yamaha was giving up the standard model and only making the Special. I felt pretty bummed out. One day a young Navy Lt. brought in a crated 1978 XS-650E Standard on the back of a Navy truck. He had bought it at the Yokohama exchange a year earlier, and had left it in the crate because he didn't want to drive it in Japan (too crazy in those days!). He shipped it to Subic Bay on opportune lift on the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier. I had the pleasure of assembling it new from the crate, servicing it , and being the FIRST to ride Her! It was thrilling. I really hated turning off the motor. Even worse, handing the young LT the keys! I told him, if you want to sell it when you go stateside, please get hold of me! He smirked, and said "yeah kid- sure!" (He knew I had no money!)
Then, unbelieveably in 1988 I myself now working for the Navy, ran into this LT, now Commander at a Navy Base in Pt Mugu, Ca. Yes, he still had the bike, and even remembered me! After a few weeks of begging, He sold me the bike. It now had 12000 miles and was beautiful and original. It had been Stationed with its Navy Officer in Japan, Philippines, Oceana Va, Pensacola Fl, San Diego, and Point Mugu Ca, It even has a USS Ranger sticker and a flightline sticker on it! Now I moved to China Lake Naval Base in the High Desert of California with the bike. I loved having Her and was LOST when during my divorce I was forced to sell Her, I sold it to a good friend, who over the last 11 years I lost touch with...Until last Friday!!! Yes, My Friend found me and I bought my XS-650E Back!!! Turns out my 650 had been living in Oxnard by the beach and then lateley, the mountains of Tehachapi, Ca. Now just as beautiful as the day I assembled Her, and with 18000 miles! I will try to NEVER let Her go again! I even moved my Harley to the back of the garage to give the XS the fastest route out of the garage!

Don't forget to enjoy life, and especially your XS!

Ron-Ridgecrest, CA

xs650.jpg
 Description:
I pulled off the fairing and hung it on the wall. Cleaned the carbs, and I am RIDING !
 Filesize:  60.45 KB
 Viewed:  219 Time(s)

xs650.jpg

Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: March 26, 2006, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

That's a cool story, Thanks for sharing it with us!
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: April 9, 2006, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

Wonderful story1

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: May 24, 2006, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

Dreams do come true, now if I can find my first chopped XS and my second stock one to join #3 and #4......
Wulf

philby

PostPosted: July 10, 2006, 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

wow did that put a smile on my face...... im here in the philippines at Naval (about 3 hrs from Cebu - visayas by supercat ferry). i recently bought an xs650 here and am loving riding it......

IT'S ALL GOOD BABY!....

IT'S ALL GOOD!
Photo Gallery
Knicky

PostPosted: September 7, 2006, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 78 XS-650 History Mild entertainment

Appears to me the xs650 has addictive powers, and mystical qualities---Hmmmm,

DAT's a Way Cool tale ya' told,

USN/FMF '65-'72

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1