650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > electric ignition plans???

electric ignition plans???
    Forum Index -> Electrical
santiablo

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 9:40 pm    Post subject: electric ignition plans???

i found these "plans" for an electronic ignition on ebay and id feel pretty fircan dumb buyen plans when i know there out there for free and on top of that i really dont want to buy something like that n it be all bogus and get riped off any one used something like this or know where some one might have posted simaler plans? i just wanted to try using this for a while till i can aford a boyers ignition kit just to get the bike runen
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...242601018&
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: electric ignition plans???

There isnt a whole lot of threads on this site about it, but there are several over at xs650temp.proboards29....ctricOther

ost all of them require modification of something.. so you have to be pretty brave or have spare parts to experiment with.

Also, Pamcopete has a great bolt on system for a reasonable price. There is also a pretty interesting one with a gerber lid that I have always wanted to try.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: electric ignition plans???

santiablo wrote:
i found these "plans" for an electronic ignition on ebay and id feel pretty fircan dumb buyen plans when i know there out there for free and on top of that i really dont want to buy something like that n it be all bogus and get riped off any one used something like this or know where some one might have posted simaler plans? i just wanted to try using this for a while till i can aford a boyers ignition kit just to get the bike runen
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...01018&

That e-bay design is trash. Look at the photo and think about it: See that distributor cap sticking out there on the left side of the head? What do you suppose is going to happen to that distributor cap when your bike falls off the kickstand on a parking lot somewhere? What's going to happen to that distributor cap if you ever have to lay your bike down on the left side?

I don't know how that system works. For all I know, it probably works just fine. But I wouldn't ride it because some kid with a hard-on can walk past the motorcycle and shatter that distributor cap with his hammer, just for a lark. Ever notice how drunks like to bust things up? Park that thing outside a bar somewhere, if you got the nerve. . . .
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: electric ignition plans???

cpotts454 wrote:

Also, Pamcopete has a great bolt on system for a reasonable price. \

I am curious what is a reasonable price. The Pamcopete system is really clean.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1