650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...
    Forum Index -> Engine
cscarroll

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:55 pm    Post subject: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

Ok, perhaps I've officially lost my marbles, but I've got a mystery on my hands.

I'm ready to assemble my '74 head. The manual shows a tightening sequence for 15 headbolts, yet the parts schematic only shows 14. What's more, I triple checked, and I can verify that I only removed 14 originally. I can see the threaded hole for odd bolt, but it's obvious that bolt was not there on my motor. In the manual it's marked #11 in the tightening sequence and is found just above the cam chain tensioner between the carb mounts.

Does anyone know what's going on?!?!?!

Thanks in advance.

-C

Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

8x 10mm domed nuts
6x8mm bolts (2 front , 2 rear + 1 each side)
1x6mm bolt (rear below breather)
= 15
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

This is from page 60 of my Clymer manual [begin quoted matter]

6. Replace [head] and tighten both bolts under the spark plug holes and the screw between the intake manifolds. It is a good idea to lightly screw both spark plugs in place at this time to keep foreign matter from falling into the combustion chambers. [end quoted matter]

I notice it tells me to replace the head and "tighten" (not torque) just those three little bolts. I don't think I'd tighten them more than finger tight with a 1/4" drive speed wrench, either (Don't want to ruin that new head gasket) -- at least until I start torquing the head bolts. Then I'd torque them in sequence, just as the diagram shows.

Summing up: It looks to me like there are two types of headbolts on the XS650. In the head-removal diagram on page 50, we see that bolts No. 1 through No. 8 form and hold a compression seal between the firing chambers and the cylinders. The remaining seven bolts -- No. 9 through No. 15 -- form and hold oil seals around areas such as the timing chain well and other points from which oil might leak.

If you removed only 14 and can't find a place to put No. 15 -- Well, I hate to say a thing like this but ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY 200 PERCENT POSITIVE CERTAIN that you didn't put the head gasket in backwards? I've pulled a boner like that exactly twice in my life (once on a 260 Ford V-8; once on a 345 IH V-8). No reason you shouldn't make a similar mistake. It's easy to do if you're in a hurry, if you don't look sharp at all times, if you don't know enough to double-check your own work.

One important element in doing this kind of work -- learn to be a mean-eyed SOB -- especially when you're looking at your own stuff.

There are 15 bolts and 15 holes in the manual. xs1961 counts 15 bolts and 15 holes. You say you got 15 holes and 14 bolts. I say -- Did you tear your engine down for an oil leak? And if you did, maybe you've finally found it. And it don't matter anyhow: If it was my engine, I'd have 15 bolts in those 15 holes when I put 'er together, and I'd make sure No. 15 is the correct length, the correct thread, and the correct hardness grade.

Remember: You're doin' this for yourself -- not for your ex-wife's boyfriend.
5twins

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

That little M6 bolt at the rear of the engine is sadly neglected. It's so hidden from view that many don't even know it exists. It's so hard to get to that it rarely gets re-torqued after a rebuild. It's very possible your original one fell out. I found the one on mine barely much more than finger tight when I tore my engine down.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

So true..
A mate of mine spent half an hour with a rawhide mallet & assorted screwdrivers trying to prise the head off his motor ..then I pointed out that little 6mm bolt he'd missed...Needless to say what condition the mating faces were left in.. Wink
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

He should buy a Harley, they respond well to big hammers Razz

Oh, do you know why Harleys don't come with tool kits? They couldn't fit that 32 ounce ball peen under the seat Smile
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

"He should buy a Harley, they respond well to big hammers"

Harleys are big hammers

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

big hammers=very funny to me

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

..I thought they were big bags 'o shite....
Photo Gallery
cscarroll

PostPosted: June 6, 2008, 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15 Head bolts?!?! I swear I only took out 14...

If i wanted to plow a field a harley would be my first choice...

thanks for the help on the headbolts. It was that little M6 that had me confused...

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1