650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Question from newbie!!!

Question from newbie!!!
    Forum Index -> Frames
Yamahopper

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Question from newbie!!!

Hi,
The 2inch extended forks at MikesXS, can I use tha same inards from my stock forks, or do I have to replace everything inside? Also, if I use 2inch extended forks and go 1 inch shorter on the rear shocks without changing the frame rake...
...any comments, concerns, tech advise, yada yada yada would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance!!!
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

...or maybe extend the forks 2inch and replace the rear shocks with original size? I'm not sure exactly what to do here. I want more of a laid back cruiser, but not really a complete chopper look.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

Yamahopper, what bike do you have? The Specials are already designed more laid back than the Standards (or Roadsters), and can go even more so by running slightly shorter rear shocks.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

yeah sorry, it's a '78 xs650 special SE. but I wasn't sure I should go too short on the rear shocks as I am 6' tall at about 210 lbs.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

I happen to have a 78 SE, and for me, I'd maybe go with a 2 over fork tube and drop the rear by getting 1 inch shorter shocks. That being said, I really wouldn't do either since the bike really doesn't look much like a cruiser even with that done. The frame is too short and the seat is too high. You can go with a rigid frame for a long chopper look, whick would make a nice looking bike, or go with either a cafe racer or street racer look, which is really (in my opinion) what these bikes look best as. On mine, I changed the bars to a Norton Daytona style angled down a tad at the ends, and it looks and feels much better. I'd really prefer a Standard or Roadster with the 18 inch rear wheel, but since I have the Special I work with what i have.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Yamahopper

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

Well, if I do deside to do that (forks and shocks) are the extended forks designed as such to use the inner components from my existing forks?
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 18, 2008, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Question from newbie!!!

Yes, they use the stock inner parts. (at least every one I've ever seen in 37 years of riding did).

Dave

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1