650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Interchangability of parts

Interchangability of parts
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
kenb

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Interchangability of parts

Hello folks,

I've begun the search for the bike that will soon become my XS650 project, and before I actually go out and buy anything I thought I'd ask around a bit about the interchangeabilty of various parts between model years. I'm loosely basing this project on the common bobber theme, and I have so far focused my search in my craigslist bike wanted ads to XS650's for the years 1978-84. I have had a response or two for earlier years (1974-75) however, and it's got me wondering how many parts can be swapped out between the earlier and later models.

Bear in mind that I'm concerned with mechanical items only, as I'll be scratch building the seat, tank, and any other bodywork I may decide to bolt on there. I guess I'm mostly wondering how well the engines, brakes, frames and wheels can be swapped out between the earlier 70's models and the XS650's from 78-84.

Perhaps more importantly, based on your opinion and experience, should I have a preference for the earlier models over the later ones, or vice versa?

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

I checked out your webpage. Looks like you have enough cleckos to build a small ship. You do nice work. I think pretty much everything available can be made to fit between the various models with minimal difficulty. If you want a rear disk brake that limits your options. Specials are more common than standards it seems. Check out the members photo albums, this bike can be made into pretty much anything you desire.

And we love pictures, especially since you seem to be pretty good at metal forming.

Welcome.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

either way basically there the same. disc brakes rear on a bobber is pretty simple with 16" wheels and are available cheap enough. If spoked wheels are your thing then go drum brake and relace to 16". Bobber hard tail the Donner bike can be of any year. 77 up 35mm forks are the most desirable, again available reasonable. I would be looking for something that will start and run, the rest can be pretty much whatever you find. Don't pay allot. Your going to be changeing everything else anyhow.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

Ken; You have a great website.Excellent workmanship. If you use those skills on bikes they will be super good.
The first couple of years on these bikes the frames were not so good.Better to look for 1978 and newer front forks as they are stronger being 35 mm. Here is a link. www.xs650.org.au/improving.htm

5twins

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

Stay '78 and above on forks, '77 and above on front brakes & carbs, and '74 and above on motors and frames. Those are about the best choices. They'll all swap and mate with each other. All year wheels will swap but the alloy flanged rims are most desirable (unless you want mags).
kenb

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick feedback, your replies answered some of the exact questions I wanted to clear up before I went out and bought anything. Based on what you folks are telling me, I think I'll stick with my original plan of targeting bikes from the 1978-84 timeframe.

Although the final design of this project is still pretty much an open book at this point, I am starting to develop a rough idea of what I want to do with this bike. I think it's definitely going to be a bobber style when it's done, but I still have a couple of questions that you guys might be able to help with to assist me in settling on the final design.

For the rear suspension, I'm giving some serious thought to going with a monoshock setup. I really do like the hardtail look because it's so neat and tidy, but I know that my almost 50 year old (and previously damaged) spine ain't going to tolerate that setup for more than a few minutes! The monoshock system will give me the sprung rear end I'm looking for, without the associated clutter of the rear shocks. A strategically selected monoshock swingarm might possibly provide the 3-4 inch stretch I'm looking for at the same time, so there is an engineering/design reason for exploring this route as well. Although there will be lots of work involved in going this route, I was a welder fitter for about ten years so the ability is definitely there to fall back on. Having a year to do the work is also an added bonus, so I won't be in any hurry to get the job done.

I'd like to draw up a static drawing of the frame and suspension setup to assist me in working out the design, and I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on a few stock dimensions. I've found the drawings posted here of the three frame types, but I need a few more numbers to fill in some of the blanks.

1) The first dimension is factory stock wheelbase, axle center to axle center. (EDIT: Found it! - 56.1in up to 1974, not sure about later models yet)

2) The second dimension is factory stock rear swingarm length, pivot center to axle center.

3) The third dimension is axle center height from the ground (front & rear, if they differ), based on factory wheels with standard rubber mounted on the rims. (EDIT: Located wheel diameters, front 19", rear 18")

Alternately, if you could direct me to a drawing somewhere that contains all of these little factoids, that would be terrific.

Thanks again for your help so far guys, and thanks also for the kind words about my website and metalwork. That's the kind of stuff that makes it all worthwhile!

Till later,
Ken

Last edited by kenb on May 16, 2008, 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

have you thought of doing airbag suspension? like on the american aftermarket customs. I have not seen one done on an xs I am sure someone has but I think it could work nice.
Photo Gallery
kenb

PostPosted: May 16, 2008, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Interchangability of parts

KYLEPRESTON wrote:
have you thought of doing airbag suspension? like on the american aftermarket customs. I have not seen one done on an xs I am sure someone has but I think it could work nice.

Hi,

Sounds interesting! It's a concept that falls outside of my range of expertise and experience though, I'm not too sure that I'd know where to start. Two concerns that pop into my mind would be concealing the setup in the limited space under the seat, and the method of dampening, would this setup still require some kind of shocks or something like that?

Ken

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1