650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > The reason there was no spark.....

The reason there was no spark.....
    Forum Index -> Electrical
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 2:24 pm    Post subject: The reason there was no spark.....

There are some days I wonder how I made it to the age I am.... Well put my carbs on... tank... got the lines all hooked up.. and spent ten minutes trying to get it started by kicking it..... no spark..... well sitting here at work going over a few things the fog in my brain lifted and the sun shined down on my brain.. I forgot to connect back up the battery.... Well now I am gonna make sure it has a charge and hook it back up.. then try kicking it... (now i kinda hope there is a problem because i feel stupid...)

side.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.89 KB
 Viewed:  66 Time(s)

side.jpg

Last edited by bulldog1980 on April 23, 2008, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

bulldog -- the battery is fine. It's your magneto that isn't working.
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

WHOLLY CRAP 200 FOR A NEW MAGNETO!!!

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

That's why it behoves you to open the case some on that side if you don't ride on dusty roads very much........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

this engine has compression but i have never had it started.. it is now getting fuel and i tried kicking it to start and nothing.. keep in mind my dumb ass forgot to hook the battery up BEFORE kicking it.. so I am gonna hook the battery up and try kicking it again when i get home but i am looking for ALTERNATE ideas of what could be wrong if that isn't the culprit....
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

I need a cold beer and to sit down and check the magneto... s*** maybe two or three beers.. as i hate this electrical stuff

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

That's a good way to lie to your old lady. Whenever you decide to get drunk just tell her you've got to go and check the magneto. She'll never figure that one out.
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

Well the magneto is alright so now i am gonna make sure the points are nice and clean and check timing....
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

Spent over an hour tracing wires and figuring out the PO was a complete idiot... So i am running a new wiring harness... I had to chop so much unnecessary wiring out of the old one that it was pathetic looking and unusable when i was finished... So once wiring is done will be trying to start it again..

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

Had the same problem with my buddies 79....PO wiring genius who left nothing undicked....have to admit we went completely nuts.....but it did finally come together.....a miracle indeed....

xsjohn

einstein.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.13 KB
 Viewed:  63 Time(s)

einstein.jpg

Photo Gallery
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

I have to admit i am getting frustrated I see all these... young punks on there crouch rockets that there daddy's bought them and I just thing man I wish i was on my bike... I should have checked the wiring sooner I admit but I never imaged the wiring was this bad....

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

The worst could be over now that you have resigned yourself to change out the wiring harness.....after dicking with my buddies we just looked at each other after many hours (even days) and said "s" on this and he bought a harness....wasn't long then...but his regulator was hosed too...and when guys on this site start talking about chopping the wiring I cringe......but some are smarter than me and can do it.......but ole Albert still could be lurking for some of them too......clean what you reuse well and use dielectric grease.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

And don't ask for help from a refrigerator repairman. My XS11 was wired by a refrigerator repairman. . . .
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The reason there was no spark.....

LOL well I have me pops coming up this weekend to help but I am thinking of pulling the old wiring harness off and getting the the other electrical pieces cleaned up and ready for testing.. (cleaned = checking there wires and such)... So i am gonna get a wiring diagram from Jayel and try to figure out what other pieces maybe missing i.e rectifier and such...

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1