650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Chopper jobs > > Step One?

Step One?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Chopper jobs
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 3, 2008, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Step One?

For those of you who havent read my intro to the community, Im a complete Noob to building and have a 1979 XS650 I want to make into the most basic chopper possible.

I have started the tearing down of the bike and I am nearly complete. My thought is that the frame is the first thing I need to concentrate on with the build. Am I correct in this thinking? If not where should I start?

I have found the two or three shops that will weld the hardtail my current frame. What is everyone reccommedation as to who I should use and why?

Black Widow
G&L Choppers
TC Bros Choppers

PS - Im only gonna apologize for my stupid questions once. I'm learning on the fly here guys and gals! Thanks! Embarassed Smile
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

The first thing to do is to get an idea in your head of what EXACTLY you want. Then scetch it out. This will allow you to try different things, like wheel sizes, tube lengths, frame stretches and rakes, etc. Remember, its easy to erase a scetch if you screw up, but one the weld is done, its a lot harder to erase it!
If you are going with a hardtail, decide on the fork length at the saem time, as on affects the other. A long hardtail section and long forks look good, but lead to really bad handling in corners and such. Short hardtail and more stock length forks make for a good handling ride. This is why the early bikes, (Indian, HD, Triumph, etc.), used a short rigid frame and short forks. Early bobbers kept the same diminsions for handling.
Long chops are good on straight highway rides, but bad in twisties. Short bikes and good in twisties, but can be squirrelly sometimes at highway speed. Find a happy medium.
Crap....looks like I'm writing a book!
Once you have your design in mind and on paper,begin gathering parts. Often accessability to parts can alter your design midway through the build. If you get the parts in advance you can be sure of haveing what you need when you need it.
If you need any more help, Just ask. I've spent 35 years building H-D bobbers and choppers. Now I'm content with my XS!

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Toytrk85

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

As drifter stated I would plan everything first (maybe search this site as well as other for ideas and the style you want to go with) and then put it all down on paper.

I spent a bit more than I wanted due to not planning ahead and just purchasing parts but sometimes thats how you learn. Also consider when changing one part you may have to find solutions to the different parts associated with each (IE- wheels, you also need to consider axle bolts, brakes/rotors/drive sprockets, then depending on the brakes you have to look into brake lines/brake masters, and then consider brake light switch options) The only stock parts on my XS is the front frame hoop and the engine (everything other part has been changed) so I needed to find alot of different options. Might not want to dive in to deep on your first chop (at least not at first).

Just my .02 and if you need help we'll be there! Oh and for hardtails done forget about kansas kustoms.

Nick
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Great advice already..thanks.

Im going to try and keep the stock wheels I have, they are the mag type and look to be in good shape, (as do the tires) and look good, also the stock tank, headlight and possibly the rear fender if I can adjust it to make it look right. I have found a website that helps to calculate rake and other questions of that type. Because I add the hardtail, does that mean I automatically change the gearing,chain drive, brakes, etc or will I be able to use stock parts for that as well? Im headed to the drawing board (that should be interesting) Laughing to do a rough sketch.

Thanks again.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

You can still run stock gearing, brakes, etc. chain will need to be changed since the hardtail will probably be longer than the stock swing arm. Rake and trail are no problem if you use the stock frame steering head geometry (no stretch) and stock length tubes. You can also shgorten the tubes by sliding them up in the triple clamps to give a low lean mean appearance.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 5, 2008, 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

drifter wrote:
You can still run stock gearing, brakes, etc. chain will need to be changed since the hardtail will probably be longer than the stock swing arm. Rake and trail are no problem if you use the stock frame steering head geometry (no stretch) and stock length tubes. You can also shgorten the tubes by sliding them up in the triple clamps to give a low lean mean appearance.

Dave

Perfect...the more I can use what I have the the better. Thanks.
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

I just about have a sketch done..any reccomendations on which hardtail to use?
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: April 9, 2008, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

i would go TC...my black widow wasn't to great.
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: June 10, 2008, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

some progress to post. My wheels have been painted and tires mounted, motor is complete. Here are a few shots. Frame is being finished up. Mock up for everything else is next week. Cant wait to get this done! Very Happy

Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: June 14, 2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

more updates..

bike04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.86 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

bike04.jpg

bike02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.4 KB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

bike02.jpg

bike01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.07 KB
 Viewed:  491 Time(s)

bike01.jpg

Photo Gallery
SRDESIGNER

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

I've noticed this on other threads, that the first photos posted are visible to me but subsequent ones are not. You're last post photos just have details listed and no photos. Maybe it's my system, but I can still see all of your other posted photos.

Just curious if anyone else is not seeing what I'm not seeing...

SRDesigner
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 15, 2008, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Beanerbiker, that's gonna be a sweet looking ride! Keep posting the pics as the work progresses.

Dave

Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Got my pipes from G&L.. will some minor adjustments to my brake, but they are gonna look great! Very Happy

pipes01.jpg
 Description:
G&L Pipes
 Filesize:  123.17 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

pipes01.jpg

Photo Gallery
davs2601

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Your pipes look great. I have thought about ordering here a set once I get closer to completion. What are you going to do for forward controls. I was looking at the sets from TCBros, but I dont think they will work because the pipes come too far forward. What are your plans?
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

davs2601 wrote:
Your pipes look great. I have thought about ordering here a set once I get closer to completion. What are you going to do for forward controls. I was looking at the sets from TCBros, but I dont think they will work because the pipes come too far forward. What are your plans?

I ordered the TC forwards...the guy putting them on for me is going to make an adjustment to the brake, other than that they will work..I will post pics as soon as its done.
Photo Gallery
stevied58

PostPosted: July 5, 2008, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

beaner any updates?was enjoying watching your build come together
P.C. ......A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

stevied58 wrote:
beaner any updates?was enjoying watching your build come together

should have some more stuff in the next few days I hope. I should have more pics to post by this Tuesday or next. thanks for checkin in..
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

updates to the build...

The headlamp will be moved..the guy helping me was messin with me. She should be running by the end of the week. Its really coming together. I will be changing the front fender to match the rear. The seat will be moved back about 2 inches. Im completly pumped about the bike at this point and cant wait to get it done!!!! Twisted Evil

bike4sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

bike4sm.jpg

bike2sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.69 KB
 Viewed:  313 Time(s)

bike2sm.jpg

bike1sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.89 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)

bike1sm.jpg

Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

one more pic..

bikesm3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.27 KB
 Viewed:  531 Time(s)

bikesm3.jpg

Photo Gallery
stevied58

PostPosted: July 15, 2008, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

beaner looking good,keep going
P.C. ......A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Step One?

can I ask why you mounted your brake stop like that?
to me it ruins the flow of the line of the bike.
sidfacekilla

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Looking good. Cant wait to see what it looks like complete. What hardtail did you end up going with? And how much strech?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

Coming right along and looks good. What have you decided for paint?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Step One?

I used TC Bros hardtail...the forks are stock, sportster tank. As for the brake light, it took some mods to even get it on, we are still making alterations to the design, so it may be changed, final mock should be this week. Im going with black, not flat or high gloss, in between the two. Im planning on having some old school hand painted pinstriping done in red and white on the tank and different areas of the bike to set it off. I was even thinking a pin-up girl on the tank, but thats a way off.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Chopper jobs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2