650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Newbie aint the word...

Newbie aint the word...
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Newbie aint the word...

Ive have only been on a bike once or twice. Ive always wanted to own one. I was talking about finding a starter bike and a guy at work spoke up and said he had a 1979 XS650. "Just needs a little work" he said, but you can have it for free! So I say hey, what do I have to lose, go to his house and pick it up. Its about what I thought it would be. So I get on the net and now Ive entered a world I'm completely unfamiliar with, yet completely caught up in at the same time.

After hittting MIKESXS, all the links and sites that popped up where amazing! Ive determined since Im going to do this, I want to do it right. Im taking the bike apart, and I am starting from the ground up. I think I have determind it will be transformed into a chopper. Im going to do as much as I can myself, with my friends help, and what Im not comfortable with, leave to the pro's. I want the most basic ride I can have, and to be able to understand whats going on with it if something happens to it.

I'm sure Im in over my head, but hey, trial by fire and all. Im planning on taking the advice I get here and in the community and applying it as best as possible to not only save time and money, but get a good quality product in the end. Anyone and everyone's advice will be greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance for not knowing where to put the key to get it started! Laughing

Looking forward to being a part of the community here.

Beaner
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

welcome. I turned mine into a bobber over winter, hardtail and all + rebuilt the motor. Easiest machines to work on and this was the first engine i have ever re-built. Almost all my parts were from mikes XS. awesome place with very quick shipping. Very Happy
georelle

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

Beaner
Welcome. Hey tell us a little more about the bike. Does it run, is it in riding condition? If it just needs a little work since you are new to riding you might want to just get it running and ride it some before you tear it down. It is a lot of work. After riding for a while you will get to know what you want and have a good feel for what the bike needs. When you do tear it down this is a great site for info and ideas.
Good luck
Ride safe
Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

Yeah, see if you can get it running first before you turn it into a basket case, unless it already is one.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

I agree with georelle and nj. Especially if the bike is a standard. '79 was the last year of the standards and for that reason, they were kind of rare and are desirable. If you chop it up, you will destroy its intrinsic value.

If you don't know what you have, post a pic, please, and we can tell you.

Regardless of which type you have, since you are new to riding, I would strongly recommend that you learn to ride on a bike that is designed to handle in a normal fashion. So learn to ride it before you chop it is my recommendation. Choppers are meant to look cool, but often don't handle well at all. Too many compromises are made for the sake of looks.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

I think everyone who has a 79 standard should cut it up and bastardize it. Then mine would be worth a lot more.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

I think everyone who has a 79 standard should cut it up and bastardize it. Then mine would be worth a lot more.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

Hi Bean---

Regardless of whether or not you chop it, before you do much of anything but look at it, get a couple of books: ideally at least a Haynes manual and the Yamaha factory book--my personal favorite. Mine has an amended section at the back for the "D" model, which is what I have, and I'm sure that yours has a manual for it also. The engine is difficult to really hurt, but it can be done if you don't read a bit about it first.

About choppers--if I don't have to ride them, I like the looks. For riding of any distance, I like a stock bike---with the XS, those engineers knew their stuff! Regardless, enjoy it, and go a little at a time, and I guarantee you'll love the thing!

Enjoy!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

When I got the bike alot had been torn off already and we were unable to tell if it would run at all. Lots of dirt, grease and grime, along with parts that had been removed and not labeld, wiring that had been cut, a seat that was unrepairable. Carbs are missing as well. Rims and tires were good. Headlight, mirrors and foot rests had been replaced(if you want to call it that) with "cool Harley looking parts"(not my words). Even the tank was dented with name plates removed.
I thought about what everyone said about taking it to stock, but I decided it if I was going to put money into it I wanted to go with a chopper style. I understand it may be harder to ride, but I just didnt want to put my money(which I was puttting money in either way) into a "stock" looking bike. Plus, I did want to "tinker" a bit. I did post a picture, and I will post more. If the bike had been in better shape, I would have just gone the simple way, but I didnt see the point.
I've really screwed it up to this point, so KINGWJ can be happy... I just added value to his ride. Wink Im sure Ive made a mistake, just the way my life goes Laughing but whats done is done. Guess I now have turned a money maker into a money pit! UGH
Photo Gallery
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

Okay Beanerbiker, you have a Special! Specials make better choppers I think because they already have a slightly lower look and a wider rear tire than the standards.

You know what, your bike is actually in pretty good shape compared to a lot you'll see. I'm working on a cafe project that began life as a 78 E (standard) that a previous owner had already started to cut up. This is what it looked like when I bought it:

www.michaelmcbroom.com...Eside1.jpg

It's stripped down to the bare frame now. So, really, you've got a good project bike there. Less work ahead of you than a lot of us. Smile

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
georelle

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie aint the word...

Hey Beaner
Now that I see the bike I'd say it needs more then just a "little work". But Cooltouch is right there are worse and for the price you have a true find. I see your carbs are there in the box. they have been taken apart though. the rear shock mounts may have also been moved forward and who knows what else. It actually does look like a good candidate for a chopper if that is what you want. It could also be put back to stock. But like you said it is going to be alot of work either way. So my humble opinion is if a chopper is what you want and you are up for the work Chop away my friend. My 76 was in better shape then that when I bought it nearly a year ago. I have torn it down and totally customizing it into a bobber. It has been a TON of work but I have enjoyed every minute of it. I can't wait to get it done and take it for a ride. It is easier to be patient and get it done right when I have another bike I can get on and go for a ride.
Have fun and keep us posted on the progress.
G

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1