650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > The Swap Meet > > A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways > > flat style seat

flat style seat
    Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2008, 2:19 pm    Post subject: flat style seat

I'm looking for a flat style seat, one that looks more Triumph-ish for my 78 Special. Any help?

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

I know its been a while, but thought I'd ask. Did you ever find a seat? and if so where? It seams everyone sells seats for every bike but the 78-? special. I guess since it hinges on the side its also "special" and no one makes them
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

I found a seat from a 78 roadster on eBay. Funny thing is....it doesn't want to fit the bike! Won't flip down enough to latch. It's llike the frame loop over the rear fender gets in the way. When the weather gets better (and the storms Hanna and maybe Ike leave) I'll go give it another try and maybe see if I can modify things to work.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

yeah send me some photos when you're working on it if you would. I have a back on my seat and think its about the ugliest thing ever, so I really want to find something different.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

The latch tang itself is shorter. You can fit the 78 SE to the standard but not vice-versa. Along with the tangs being a different length there is a slight pan configeration difference. Use your pan with new foam and a recover. Most upholstery shops could probably make it look decent.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

So a special seat works on a standard but not the other way around?? Bummer. There must be a way to make it work, though. Check out the bike in the pic.

Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

I did that last summer drifter, so I can't remember the exact details.It could be the the latchs could be swapped. But I think there was a difference in the bolt pattern and the pan on the standard was flatter.
The specials seat work because the latch tang was longer, but it wouldn't keep it down tight till you sit on it. I didn't care for the way it slid me into the tank, didn't stay on a whole week. It's been in the shop attic ever since. You scooter's looking sharp. I like the brace and dual disc's. Since you have a seat for them to look at you might see if a local upholstery shop could give the pan from Spec. that look with new foam and vinyl.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 5, 2008, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: flat style seat

Weekendrider...unfortunately the bike in the pic is Mike Cook's not mine. I was showing the seat. I thought he had a Special frame, but have since found out his bike is a standard with special tank and sidecovers. No wonder the standard seat fits! I will just have to see what i can do to make the standard seat fit my SE.

Dave

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> A place to clean out your garage - Give Aways All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1