650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

Make your own pressure side spin on filter!
    Forum Index -> Engine
xs650mike

PostPosted: December 16, 2005, 2:50 am    Post subject: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

While an easy to install kit is available for $85 from www.650central.com , drawings and photos of 2 types of XS650 spin on filter can also be found at home.gci.net/~dyen/XS650.html for those who have the tools and talent to make their own. Illustrated are both the pressure side filter that 650 Central sells and a suction side filter that goes on the bottom of the sump.

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
AMT82xs650

PostPosted: April 13, 2008, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

Here's an updated link...
home.comcast.net/~dyenfd/XS650.html
royfisk

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

amt nice find, cant figure out how sump filter reaches pick-up tube yet but with that filter there would be no need for the pressure filter except for extra filtering after the pump.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

Keep in mind guys that the paper filter will restrict oil flow about 20 percent.......this ain't something I drempt up.....came right from Wix and my discusons with them......when I built my spin on I increased the main bearing oil holes a hair with a hardened rod and some valve gringing compond....but I was also planning to increase the oil flow to the top end a bit also for more intake valve oiling and a top end cooler......paranoia maybe after loosing one crank with no mods at all.......good idea to check the side clearance on the oil pump too......

......xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

The XS650 oil pump is a positive displacement pump (as are all oil pumps I've ever seen), which means that it will displace the same amount of oil per revolution, pretty much regardless of inlet or outlet pressure. The only way I can see flow being reduced in this situation is if the pump itself is starved for oil.

System capacity is being increased by adding an oil filter, but as long as there is no blockage that might starve the oil pump, I don't see how a restriction of flow can occur. Unless there's a bypass somewhere in the system that opens up due to the added pressure of having to push the oil through the filter? The XS650 motor, making heavy use of roller and ball bearings throughout, probably does not develop much oil pressure anyway, so this could be a factor.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
royfisk

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

As long as you do not let the sump filter plug up you will not have a problam with oiling. As far as the pressure filter I would delete it all together. The oil pump wont come apart unless something goes through it and that wont happen unless there is no sump filter, or you have a torn screen. Which will no longer be there.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

I run a paper filter.......only time will tell if it is any benifit ........don't plan on taking it off.......

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on April 14, 2008, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

Speaking of Oil Filters - I purchased the HP peformance kits from mikesXS
(See Picture)
"No mods to install - improved filtration > Improved Cooling = Longer Engine Life"

Did I waste my money??

Is it doing more harm than good???

Does the oil come in the side and go out through the center back?

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

In the sides and out the center.....sure is a pretty thing....has a bypass in it too....as all spin-ons do...wish they we around when I was making mine..........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

So I take it - john - you see no problems in using this filter setup?
Yes- No???

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 14, 2008, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

In colder weather I let my bike warm up a bit more that I used to before I take off......I have 15,000 or more thou on my spinon which looks about like the same thing with no problems.....and my top end oil restrictor is bigger than stock to run the intake valve oiler and cooler........which I wouldn't take off either.....

Here is something said about turbo ball bearings from some racers ..???.

Too much oil flooding the ball bearings will make the bearings ride up on an oil wedge and start sliding. This is NOT how they were designed to work! It causes them to flat-sopt (seriously!) and this causes vibration, and possibly a crash of the impeller due to the bearings shelling out.
Ball bearings only require a light fluid (the lighter the better) to remove any built up heat from them---after that, it starts causing problems!

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

OK - so what are you saying 10-40 is better than 20-50?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

10-40 (15-40) winter 20-50 summer....think what they meant by light is not too much oil......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own pressure side spin on filter!

10-4 -

not to be confused with 10w-40w

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1