650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Starter Reduction Gears

Starter Reduction Gears
    Forum Index -> Engine
natemeins

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Starter Reduction Gears

Hey Fellas, got one for ya:
Hitting the starter causes a horrible grinding sound, like the teeth are stripped. Went ahead and ordered the gear replacement kit from Mike's and opened up the cover to look at the damage but got a question: should the clip attached to the gear go into the "slot" similar to the friction tab on the kickstarter gear, or does it go between this "slot" and the case, as the Clymer's manual suggests. Haynes manual is no help. It looks like it should go in there, but it would be difficult, the tab is a bit bigger than the slot, which may explain why it looks like the gear kept kicking out of the crank gear, as it's worn on the inside edge of the gear. I wonder maybe the former owner of the bike did this repair and installed the gear wrong. Any hints or help would be appreciated.
74yamabob

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

I was having the grinding problem and just bent the spring alittle and it gave it the extra valasity it needed to throw the gear all the way in place.
With that being said it goes in the slot.
Photo Gallery
Shannon60

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

if your gears are worn and you want to replace i have many sets just pay shipping
natemeins

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

Ok, that's what I thought. I was working it through, and I think I have the same problem: it bottoms out before it's fully engaged onto the crank gear. Will toy with it some more, thanks for the help. I also found that the cush gears that run directly off the starter (the 2 gears connected together in the small access panel on left side) were completely loose! By that I mean the three screws holding the assembly together were completely backed out! It came out in pieces when I took the access panel off. Luckily, nothing looks busted, but I think I'll lock-tite em in before it goes back in the case. So as far as the tab into the slot deal, should it be such a tight fit? I'm afraid it will hinder movement. Maybe I'll just wait till I get my new parts.
5twins

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

Yamaha updated the drag "spring", or more correctly, the drag clip, in 1976. The new one which is the one included in your kit, is made from heavier wire and will not fit in the original position. It goes next to and below that case casting. You can probably save your kit and just bend the original drag clip tight again as per these instructions .....

650wiki.org/index.php/...roblem_fix

Yamaha released a tech bulletin on the updated starter parts .....
natemeins

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

OK, that's sounds and looks logical. Thanks for this bit of info. Exactly what i was looking for! Gonna print it out and add to my book.
5twins

PostPosted: March 12, 2008, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Reduction Gears

Nice to see someone else keeping a notebook. Here's a little maintenance chart I drew up to help keep track of what you do and when you do it. I have one printed out for each of my bikes. There are separate columns for date, mileage, and maintenance performed. Print the front side, then flip the page over, run it through the printer again and print the back side on the same sheet.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1