650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > mikesxs oil cooler

mikesxs oil cooler
    Forum Index -> Engine
XduncanX

PostPosted: March 2, 2008, 5:16 pm    Post subject: mikesxs oil cooler

Hey everyone. Has anyone run one of mikesxs' oil coolers. The big aluminum finned guys? I just picked up one because and it strikes me as odd that that aluminum insert just sort of floats inside the piece. Has anyone run one of these and if was there something different to installing it other than the directions it comes with? Thanks
XduncanX

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Since no one seems to be running one (not a good sign in the first place), heres the general question. The upgraded oil cooler has a big finned reservoir that increases the surface area for cooling and also replaces the stock filter element with a more efficient honda one. In order to do this though, you have to remove the old element AND the bolt holding it in, which means no more bypass valve. You replace that with a milled aluminum insert in the same shape as the original filter, that has a nipple which you slide the honda filter over. That whole apparatus just floats inside the larger oil cooler. So, two questions: firstly, can the stock oil pump handle the larger volume of oil now available in the oil cooler? Also, since that insert just floats, how tight a seal do you need on the inside gasket? I've ridden the bike short distances since installing it and I dont see or hear any problems, but thats not saying much. In principle, this thing works, but my paranoia about not destroying my first bike is keeping me from being comfortable with the set up. Let me know what you guys think?
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

I'll take a stab at your oil pump question. The stock oil pump is a positive-displacement pump, meaning that it will push a given amount of oil through the system pretty much no matter what. By installing an oil cooler, you've changed the system volume, but not the system flow requirements. The oil pump can't see, and doesn't care about, the increased capacity. It will just keep shoving the same given amount of oil through its impellers with every revolution.

Thinking about this a bit more, I would say that you want a certain amount of retention time in the cooler for maximum cooling to occur. If the oil is pumped at excessively high volumes, it won't be in the cooler long enough to cool off.

Reminds me of something else: to me, one of the most valuable pieces of instrumentation that an aircooled motorcycle can have is an oil temperature gauge. I have one installed on my BMW R90. With an oil temp gauge, you can directly monitor the effectiveness of your oil cooler. Even without a cooler, you can tell how your bike's doing, which can be important on a hot summer day while stuck in traffic.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

I remember reading on another board, possibly 650garage, some concerns about oil flow but I can't remember exactly...I'll search it up
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Here's what other's have been discussing on another board:

I needed a few other bits and pieces so I included one of the new oil filter kits on Mikes that uses the Honda Paper element filter on my last order. I changed the sump screen right after I bought the bike 15K+ miles ago and check the side case oil screen every other oil change but always felt like there had to be a lot of little stuff circulating in the oil given the mesh size on the screen(S).

The drill and tap for a remote filter seemed like a lot of work and the kit that I saw someone selling that used a spin on filter looked kind of cobby.

The new system went on as simple as advertised, remove the old screen, insert the spacer where the screen was and install the filter and new cover. The finned cover does stick out beyond the side case but it doesn't interfere with anything and it's a good looking piece of machining. I don't think the fins will contribute much to oil cooling but it can't hurt. The only set back was I was only a 1000 miles out from the last time I checked the screen so I assumed I could reuse the outer gasket. Didn't work, it weeped oil and I had to take it back off and use the new gasket that came with the kit. Looks to be holding tight.

Probably $50 spent primarily for peace of mind but what the heck, I've spent more and got less.

©2007, orygun, All Rights Reserved.
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
Sale of this information is prohibited. Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
82 XS650 Heritage Special, 98 Mustang v6 5speed, 97 Ford PU PSD, 67 Cougar 289 4speed, 56 Fergusen TO-35, 49 Farmall Super A

gregleroy

Re: Mikes New Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on Sept 25, 2007, 8:20pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have Mike's new oil filter (actually a Heiden made in Germany). I like the look, quality and engineering. What has me concerned, however, is how little space there is (relative to the stock unit) between the new oil filter and the cover. It looks as if it would restrict the oil flow more than the stock unit -- which would serve to heat up the engine. Anyone seem any evidence of the new cooler either running hotter or cooler than the stock unit?

greg
©2007, gregleroy, All Rights Reserved.
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4); Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 Harley Pan; 96 Harley 1200 XLH. Current Rides: 80 Yamaha XS650 chopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 Honda CB750F

orygun

Franklin Oregon

« Reply #2 on Sept 26, 2007, 9:37am »

As I understand the function of the filter the area at the top or outer part of the filter housing is the path for oil to reach the bypass valve in the event the element becomes clogged. There wouldn't normally be flow in that area.

BTW, I do have an oil temp gauge on the bike. So far in about 100 miles since I installed the filter I have not been able to see a significant drop in oil temperature, maybe 5-10 deg. But we are getting into cooler weather here and the oil temp normally doesn't get above 230 deg or so anyway. On the cool mornings (low 40s) it doesn't reach 200 deg.

82 XS650 Heritage Special, 98 Mustang v6 5speed, 97 Ford PU PSD, 67 Cougar 289 4speed, 56 Fergusen TO-35, 49 Farmall Super A

gregleroy

« Reply #3 on Sept 26, 2007, 3:49pm »

Thanks for the input, orygun. Under the impression that my bike is running a tad hotter I've been using the laser thermometer. With new oil & ambient outside temps of 86-89 degrees the engine heats up to around 210 degrees on short trips & up to 250 degrees on more extended freeway/city jaunts of an hour+.

I haven't done a relative test of the stock system yet. But from what you suggest maybe I don't understand how the filter works. It seemed obvious to my ignorant mind that the oil had to flow between the filter & the housing in normal operation -- am I wrong?

greg
©2007, gregleroy, All Rights Reserved.

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4); Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 Harley Pan; 96 Harley 1200 XLH. Current Rides: 80 Yamaha XS650 chopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 Honda CB750F

orygun

Franklin Oregon

« Reply #4 on Sept 27, 2007, 11:34am »

You're right, I misread your original post. The paper element filter is a fairly tight fit in the housing. Hopefully since these engines don't move a huge volume of oil it will be adequate. I'm not sure what the material under the paper element (if any) is, I suspect it will collapse in a little as the filter loads up which would increase the clearance. The passage I was referring to is in the top of the inner part of the housing. When I first looked at the new housing I wondered why when the rest of it was so beautifully machined the top part had some tool marks that looked like they started to drill some holes and stopped. After looking at the filter I realized that was the path the oil would have to take to get to the bypass built in to the filter.
Sale of this information is prohibited.

XduncanX

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Awesome, this has definately alleviated my fears of destroying my engine. I do think an oil temp gauge would be beneficial too, since I'll be running in south florida heat. Thanks for the help!
mlcarter815

PostPosted: March 8, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

I put the new oil cooler on last December. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet with all the snow we've been getting. Supposed to be in the 50's next week, so maybe my alley will thaw out enough to let me get the bike out.
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 9, 2008, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Coolers don't do much for you in cold weather..........below 70 degrees they can make it take longer to warm up and maybe even hurt real cold weather performance.........I keep mine covered below 70 degrees (top end cooler)..........above 80 degrees is when they are really needed...........mikesxs oil filter has a bypass built into the filter like car filters do.........

.......210 degrees for a few mile run is normal.....245-250 on the express in hot weather is what I see on the cylinders..........you need to check the cylinder temperatures ....on the side below the head.....they run hotter than the head...and no cooler will help cylinder temps......mixtures help control them.....and the right side runs hotter and can climb way above the left on longer express runs...got all that figured in my kits......

put out posts on coolers and how long the oil stays in them ....couple of years ago...that's why I use the top end cooler because the oil is moving slower throught it and dumpin 130 degree oil on the hottest spot.....the top end.....and my lower end oil temps never climp above 180 even on the express in the summer...........some of that cool oil gets down between the cylinders to the lower end cooling the oil there too.....have had a cooler up top for 23 thou now.........easier too.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

I have the same filter coooler from mikes - the insert (i agree -could have been designed better) doesn't "float" the filter holds it pressed in place when you tighten the outer finned cover.

y BIG concern with the stupid insert is that it doesn't COVER/PLUG the oil inlet hole from teh oil pump on the side of the chamber. When I install the insert (at EVERY oil change if falls out) I always try to keep it positioned toward the back of the hole -where the old oil screen went - so it doesn't block/restrict the oil inlet hole)

they should have made a recess area in the aluminum insert to insure good oil flow from the pump to the filter.

installing it is like - Hold the filter and insert in place - and slap on the cover before it slides down...

could have been deisnged better

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Can you dent it in there a bit...or relieve the passage to give more clearance...here I go again....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

You can't dent' this insert - It's a solid piece of milled aluminum - quite pretty to look at - I thought of grinding a recess in - but then I thought - oil goes in and out of many tiny spaces - so why mess with this? I am sure some engineer already took the space into account when they designed this thing.
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mikesxs oil cooler

Ok so it bugged me to death (Refer to Pictures) -
(A) I took the insert and marked where it lined up with the oil inlet hole in the engine case-(O) (note line )
(B) Then I simply ground the round side of the Aluminum Insert/spacer on the side that faces the inlet (O) flat -- (B) to create a larger space for the oil to flow in to the filter.
(C) I actually tapered it from mid back on the insert/spacer to the front facing the hole. (O) (side view - ground at 30 degree angle) so the front of the spacer now has a flat spot - and the back of the spacer is still round.
It creates a triangular taper (C) to the front that actually not only creates a larger passage for the oil - but also guides the oil towards the paper filter.

All grinding was done on my bench grinder - then I wet sanded it smooth.

Now the oil has plenty of room to flow free to the filter.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1